Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Another good one: Carrot Soup with Spinach Chiffonade
Joined: Dec 19, 2005
Posted to Thread #12709 at 8:36 pm on Nov 22, 2008
CARROT SOUP WITH SPINACH CHIFFONADE
*Note: I increased the amounts of ground ginger and fresh ginger, plus I added some ground cardamom and curry powder.
4 cups (or more) canned low-salt chicken broth (I used 4 cups)
1 pound carrots, peeled, sliced
1 8-ounce russet potato, peeled, cut into cubes
1 medium onion, chopped
1 teaspoon ground ginger (I used about 1 1/2 tsp)
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon minced peeled fresh ginger (I used about 1 1/2 tsp)
2 cups packed thinly sliced spinach leaves (I used flat leaf spinach, whole leaves)
1/2 cup plain nonfat yogurt (I used more)
Combine 4 cups broth, carrots, potato, onion and ground ginger in large saucepan and bring to boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until vegetables are very tender, about 25 minutes. (I simmered vegetables about 15 minutes).
Using slotted spoon, transfer vegetables to processor. Puree until smooth. With machine running, gradually add soup broth to processor. Return soup to same saucepan, thinning with more broth if necessary. Add lemon juice and fresh ginger; simmer 3 minutes. Add spinach and simmer until wilted, about 2 minutes. Season soup with salt and pepper. Ladle into bowls. Swirl 1 heaping spoonful of yogurt into each bowl. (I used about 1 1/2 heaping tablespoons per bowl).
Per serving: calories, 158; fat, 2 g; cholesterol, 1 mg; sodium, 127 mg
A balanced diet is equal parts of milk and dark chocolate.
Other messages in this thread:
- 12709. ISO: Fall- flavored blended soup - Carianna in WA - 6:34pm on 11/22/08 (17)
- Here are three you might take a look at Carianna... - Dawn_MO - 7:09pm on 11/22/08
- Hungarian Mushroom Soup (put thru blender). Check Recipezaar, and Allrecipes - Elenor - 7:33pm on 11/22/08
- This is delicious. Carrot-Ginger Soup with Chili-Peanut Pesto. It serves 8 [LINK] - Pat-NoCal - 7:40pm on 11/22/08
- Saffron Vichyssoise - MarkinHouston - 8:14pm on 11/22/08
- This is fantastic: Yellow Pepper Soup [LINK] - Meryl - 8:34pm on 11/22/08
- I'm very surprised the recipe does not call for charring the peppers and then peeling off the skin. [NT] - KarenNoCA - 12:30am on 11/23/08
- It's not necessary. [NT] - Meryl - 1:06am on 11/23/08
- I suppose the pureeing takes care of the skins pretty well. I might still char the peppers for... - Michael in Phoenix - 3:20pm on 11/23/08
- You're right on about the pureeing, Michael. This soup is so flavorful, it really doesn't need the - Meryl - 7:36pm on 11/23/08
- Another good one: Carrot Soup with Spinach Chiffonade [LINK] - Meryl - 8:36pm on 11/22/08
- Some of my fall favorites: Parsnip and Apple Soup [LINK] - Shaun in TO - 8:53pm on 11/22/08
- Tuscan Creamless Creamy Squash Soup [NT] [LINK] - Shaun in TO - 8:54pm on 11/22/08
- Mitzi's Autumn Pear and Parsnip Soup - Shaun in TO - 9:01pm on 11/22/08
- cream of asparagus - Silver Palate. can be served cold - emtd - 9:14pm on 11/22/08
- I just found this one, it's vegan but looks amazing: REC: Delicata Squash Bisque [LINK] - Heather_in_SF - 10:01pm on 11/22/08
- These all look great. Now I have too many to choose from! Thanks, all. [NT] - Carianna in WA - 9:02pm on 11/23/08
- Julie's Southwestern Pumpkin soup is creamy and beautifully spiced. [NT] [LINK] - AngAk - 6:06pm on 11/24/08