Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
REC: Lemon Sauce--we use this on brussel sprouts, but it would be good on string beans...
Joined: Dec 16, 2005
Posted to Thread #12752 at 1:41 am on Nov 26, 2008
Recipe By :Lidia Bastianich
4 large garlic cloves -- peeled (4 to 5)
2 medium onions -- peeled and cut in wedges or big chunks (about 3 cups)
1/2 teaspoon salt -- or more to taste
1/4 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 1/2 cups water
Rinse and dry the lemons. With a sharp vegetabole peeler or paring knife, shave off the outer yellow zest in strips, taking none of the bitter whit pith, until you have about 1/4 cup of strips , packed together. Juice some or all of the lemons, straining to remove seeds and pulp, to get about 1/3 cup of lemon juice.
Put the juice, strips of peel, garlic, onion and salt in a 2-quart saucepan; pour in the water and 1 tablespoon of the oil. Bring to a boil, cover and cook for about 20 minutes at a gentle boil. Remove the cover and cook rapidly for 20-30 minutes, or until the overall volume has reducedby half and the onion pieces are barely covered in liquid.
Puree the warm sauce in a blender or food processor. With the machine running, pour the remaining tablespoon of olive oil in a thin stream to incorporate it into the sauce.
Taste the sauce and blend in salt if needed; reheat if necessaarybefore serving. Store in the refrigerator
"Lidia's Family Table"
"1 1/2 Cups"
Other messages in this thread:
- 12752. Green vegetable for T-day. - Amanda_Pennsylvania - 7:08pm on 11/25/08 (4)
- I don't have a sauce recipe, but I'm doing the same with browned butter and a squeeze of lemon over - AngAk - 7:38pm on 11/25/08
- I love to use a good olive oil with a few drops of pure lemon oil and fresh ground pepper. - PatBastrop - 10:50pm on 11/25/08
- REC: Lemon Sauce--we use this on brussel sprouts, but it would be good on string beans... - charlie - 1:41am on 11/26/08
- I always "fry" the green beans with garlic -- they get eaten before the turkey :) - cheezz - 2:02am on 11/26/08