Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Smoked Salmon Pinwheels
Joined: Dec 14, 2005
Posted to Thread #12805 at 5:40 pm on Nov 29, 2008
SMOKED SALMON PINWHEELS
From <i>Classic Home Cooking</i> by Mary Berry and Marlena Speiler
A spinach soufflé rolled up with smoked salmon and seasoned cream cheese. A thin layer of tomatoes contrasts the richness of the filling. It’s beautiful when sliced. It’s intended to be plated as a starter, and the slices were a little bulky for hors d’oeuvres, so next time we’ll roll the roulade lengthwise for smaller slices.
Serves 4-6. Start the day before serving.
1 Tbs. butter
1 garlic clove, crushed
5 cups spinach leaves, cooked, squeezed and chopped
4 eggs, separated
1 tsp. chopped fresh rosemary
A pinch of nutmeg
Salt and pepper
3/4 cup plus 2 Tbs. cream cheese
3 Tbs. yogurt
4 scallions, thinly sliced
¼ lb. sliced smoked salmon (we used more)
2 ripe tomatoes, thinly sliced (we used one large one, chopped and drained on paper towels)
A 13-x-9” jelly roll pan
Salad greens and lemon slices to garnish
Line the jelly roll pan with a sheet of parchment paper, cutting the corners so that it fits snugly. Preheat the oven to 375°F.
Put the butter into a saucepan, add the garlic, and cook gently until the butter melts. Remove for heat. Stir in the spinach.
Add the egg yolks, rosemary and nutmeg and beat into the spinach mixture. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
In another bowl, whisk the egg whites until stiff but not dry. Stir 2-3 spoonfuls into the mixture, then fold in the rest.
Spread the soufflé mixture in the jelly roll pan, and bake for 10-12 minutes, until the mixture feels firm. Remove from the oven, cover with a damp dish towel, and leave to cool.
Meanwhile, make the filling: in a medium bowl, beat together the cream cheese and yogurt until smooth, then stir the scallions into the mixture.
Turn out the cooked roulade and peel off the paper. Arrange slices of smoked salmon on top, leaving a 1-inch border on each side. Spread the cream cheese filling over the smoked salmon, using a spatula. Arrange the tomato slices over half of the cream cheese filling.
Roll up the roulade, starting at the end where the tomato slices have been placed. Wrap the roulade in foil, then in a damp dish towel, and chill overnight.
To serve, trim off the hard edges of the roulade, cut into thick slices, and arrange on a serving platter. Garnish with salad greens and lemon slices.
Other messages in this thread:
- 12805. Best Thanksgiving Recipes of 2008 - What were your favorites? [NT] - Traca - 1:13am on 11/29/08 (59)
- Heavenly Flour-Bread Rolls [LINK] - Traca - 1:20am on 11/29/08
- Roast chicken with lots of caramelized onions and garlic - - Meryl - 1:31am on 11/29/08
- Oh my, that sounds wonderful! [NT] - LisainLA - 2:00am on 11/29/08
- Cauliflower cheddar horseradish gratin and [LINK] - SusanKentfieldCa - 1:33am on 11/29/08
- Mmmmm, Susan! This looks fantastic! Bet it would be good with a roast beast!! [NT] - Heather_in_SF - 7:38am on 12/03/08
- copied---I have to bring a side dish for a prime rib dinner and I think this is it. [NT] - AngAk - 8:34pm on 12/03/08
- Fav. Thanksgiving Recipe: C.I.'s dry salt brined turkey - Stephanie-Oh - 1:37am on 11/29/08
- REC: Brussels Sprouts with Pancetta and Garlic - judy-mass - 1:48am on 11/29/08
- I saw Rachel RAy make this yesterday and it looks sooo...yummy.NT [NT] - elaine - 6:28am on 11/29/08
- And I was going to post my fav was our "Roasted Brussel Sprouts with Bacon and Onions":) [NT] - deb-in-MI - 10:29am on 11/29/08
- Yum! Tried this tonight and will make again, thanks for posting - suz - 11:32pm on 12/02/08
- Rec: Yams with Rosemary and Garlic - judy-mass - 1:51am on 11/29/08
- oh my, I love savory yams for a change from very sweet. [NT] - AngAk - 9:11pm on 12/01/08
- Wigs Pumpkin Praline Pie...no leftovers :( ...and is was only Ed an me [LINK] - Michael in Sarasota - 2:14am on 11/29/08
- Marc's Cranberry Sauce - Earnie - 5:01am on 11/29/08
- Yeast Rolls - Earnie - 5:07am on 11/29/08
- And Richard's Russian Potatoes - NT [LINK] - Earnie - 5:08am on 11/29/08
- Apple pie- combo of Julia Child piecrust and my sisters filling..see below - elaine - 6:37am on 11/29/08
- Broccoli and Cauliflower Flan and Chocolate Panforte Candies- both excellent! - CynUpstateNY - 12:23pm on 11/29/08
- cyn, how long do you bake the flan? sounds like a fabulous vegetarian side dish. [NT] - AngAk - 9:21pm on 12/01/08
- Butterscotch Yams from Pat No Cal and Olga's Mushroom Rolls - KC_ - 1:52pm on 11/29/08
- Thank you KC, I'm glad you enjoyed the yams. [NT] - Pat-NoCal - 2:05am on 11/30/08
- New York Times Rich Corn Bread Dressing [LINK] - Marianne - 3:22pm on 11/29/08
- And CI's Upgraded Green Bean Casserole. Use fresh green beans and so much better than canned cream [LINK] - Marianne - 3:38pm on 11/29/08
- I did this one too - so simple and good! [NT] - Music City Missy - 6:10pm on 11/29/08
- I'm so glad to know that someone else did the old, boring standby's. I'm too old to change! [NT] - Marianne - 11:07pm on 11/29/08
- Standbys is why I don't have much to add - with just 3 of us... - Music City Missy - 12:14am on 11/30/08
- Venison mashed potatos and gravy recipe, please? TKS [NT] - Marianne - 2:55pm on 11/30/08
- Just posted at your post below [NT] - Music City Missy - 4:20pm on 11/30/08
- We've gone back to the stand-bys - as someone mentioned previously, I think Thanksgiving - LisainLA - 3:56pm on 11/30/08
- True for us, I've made the same dinner for years. We finally gave up on turkey, prefer - Curious1 - 5:50pm on 11/30/08
- The links is available to members only. Can someone post the recipe for Green Bean Casserole? [NT] - Traca - 2:56am on 12/01/08
- The link only works if you have a subscription. Can you repost the rec? [NT] - Julie R - WA - 3:54pm on 12/03/08
- Red: Green Bean Casserole - Curious1 - 10:40pm on 12/03/08
- ok curious... is it red beans or green beans? heehee [NT] - cheezz - 5:15am on 12/04/08
- wigs... this pie was truly awsome! It was lighter color than other pies I've made - cheezz - 5:17am on 12/04/08
- Yes, I added a few typos to my usual syntax errors. [NT] - Curious1 - 1:18pm on 12/04/08
- Rec: Cosmopolitan Champagne Cocktail [LINK] - Pat-NoCal - 3:54pm on 11/29/08
- These sound soooo good! [NT] - Curious1 - 5:54pm on 11/30/08
- Rec: Mushroom-Stuffed Brie en Croûte [LINK] - Pat-NoCal - 4:06pm on 11/29/08
- Carrot Pudding. This went surprisingly well with a turkey dinner. [NT] [LINK] - Joe - 5:02pm on 11/29/08
- Smoked Salmon Pinwheels - Joe - 5:40pm on 11/29/08
- Joe, this looks awesome! And I just took a tour of a smokehouse...I've got 10 pounds - Traca - 2:48am on 12/01/08
- Traca, let me know how you like it. It's the lox-type smoked salmon called for here, not the flaky - Joe - 3:42am on 12/01/08
- Made it tonight... - Traca - 7:44am on 12/01/08
- Great! I'm sure the flavor was the same even if it lacked the pink stripe. I'm loving the whole - Joe - 2:58am on 12/02/08
- I agree, I love the spinach souffle base -- especially because it's gluten-free. [LINK] - Traca - 4:21am on 12/02/08
- It was 5 cups raw, but from the picture you have the situation completely under control. - Joe - 2:53pm on 12/02/08
- Rec: Pumpkin Cheesecake with Caramel Swirl - Pat-NoCal - 6:15pm on 11/29/08
- Rec: John's Italian Peas & Mushrooms - dianncy1964 - 7:31pm on 11/29/08
- Rec: Sweet Pepper Rice - dianncy1964 - 7:35pm on 11/29/08
- Rec: Applesauce Stuffing [IMAGE] - dianncy1964 - 7:37pm on 11/29/08
- Libby's Pumpkin pie, using soy milk! ( Blind bake the crust, for an extra flaky, crispy texture.) - Sandi in Hawaii - 9:04pm on 11/29/08
- I'm sorry to say that this year's T'giving was nothing special. Same food as usual, all tasty, but.. - Julie R - WA - 2:27am on 11/30/08
- Charlie's Roasted Balsamic Onions and Easy Chocolate Raspberry tart - Lana in FL - 2:45am on 12/01/08
- would you believe the Turkey Rice soup made with the leftover bones and gravy? - AngAk - 9:04pm on 12/01/08
- CI's Pumpkin Pie was awesome [NT] - MoNJ - 2:52pm on 12/02/08
- Is CI's Pumpkin Pie posted somewhere that I'm missing?Can't follow links 2 CI web site unless member [NT] - wigs - 8:33pm on 12/03/08
- here is the link to the smittenkitchen post about the pie. [NT] [LINK] - AngAk - 8:39pm on 12/03/08