Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
|Julie R - WA||
Today's sausage... Rec: Green Chile Chicken Sausage
Joined: Nov 15, 2006
Posted to Thread #12811 at 6:00 pm on Nov 30, 2008
** Green Chile Chicken Sausage **
My favorite sausage from the Culinary Communion charcuterie class. Delicious! Recipe courtesy of Gabriel Claycamp, posted with permission. Makes approximately 10 pounds sausage.
7 lbs boneless chicken thighs, cubed
3 lbs fatback, cubed
6 Tbsp chili powder
5 tsp cumin
5 tsp sweet Spanish paprika
5 tsp oregano
5 tsp basil
1 1/2 tsp onion powder
3 oz salt
6 garlic cloves, minced
5 tsp Tabasco sauce
12 oz roasted poblano chiles, seeded, peeled and cut into 1/8-inch dice
3 jalapenos, seeded and minced
12 oz ice-cold water
hog casings, 21 feet, rinsed
Process: toss the cubed chicken and fatback with the combined seasonings. Chill well. Grind through the fine plate (1/8-inch) of a meat grinder into a mixing bowl over and ice bath.
Combine: mix on low speed for 1 minute, gradually adding poblano chiles, jalapenos, and ice water. Mix on medium speed for 15-20 seconds, or until the sausage mixture is sticky to the touch.
Test: panfry a test patty. Adjust seasons and consistency before filling the prepared casing and shaping into 4-inch links.
Cooking: the sausages are now ready to prepare for eating by pan frying, baking, grilling, or broiling to an internal temperature of 150 degrees F, or hold under refrigeration for up to 7 days. (We usually vacuum pack and freeze ours.)
Notes: we reduced the amount of sweet paprika a bit and added in sweet smoked Spanish paprika, which is a favorite spice of mine. :) We have also substituted Anaheim peppers for the poblanos when we couldn’t get poblanos, and have omitted the jalapenos at times, as well. It all depends on who we’re making the sausages for and their individual tastes.
Life is grand!
Other messages in this thread:
- 12811. Today is Christmas Gift Sausage Making Day for us! Here are the recipes we're using... [NT] - Julie R - WA - 2:40am on 11/30/08 (14)
- Rec: French Merguez Sausages (Culinary Communion) [LINK] [IMAGE] - Julie R - WA - 2:43am on 11/30/08
- Oh my gosh, just had a test patty... these are FABULOUS!!! :) [NT] - Julie R - WA - 3:59am on 11/30/08
- Today's sausage... Rec: Green Chile Chicken Sausage - Julie R - WA - 6:00pm on 11/30/08
- That's funny...I'm making this today! My favorite sausage recipe.... [NT] - Traca - 6:19pm on 11/30/08
- Really? The same CC recipe, just today? Wow! lol - Julie R - WA - 6:37pm on 11/30/08
- must be like married couples that being to look alike.... getting a little scary, huh?! [NT] - cheezz - 12:28am on 12/01/08
- *snortlaugh*!! :) [NT] - Julie R - WA - 1:02am on 12/01/08
- Yep! We made 11 pounds of Green Chile Chicken and 5 pounds of Charlie's - Traca - 2:44am on 12/01/08
- Now all you need do is make the Merguez, and we'll have spent our weekends the "same." LOL! Our... - Julie R - WA - 6:23pm on 12/01/08
- Here's an idea... maybe we should have a sausage making party sometime? :) - Julie R - WA - 6:25pm on 12/01/08
- I've done this before. We made 8 types of sausages. Shared the work & the spoils. :) [NT] - Traca - 3:26am on 12/02/08
- Exactly! :) Well, when one of us has another one, we should invite each other & our KitchenAids! [NT] - Julie R - WA - 5:55am on 12/02/08
- Found poblanos at Whole Foods and got my fatback at Uwajimaya. [NT] - Traca - 3:25am on 12/02/08
- I'll remember Whole Foods. Will check WF next time. Got our fatback at a large Mexican grocery. [NT] - Julie R - WA - 5:56am on 12/02/08