Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Here you go, Marilyn. Chocolate Mousse Hazelnut Cake
Joined: Dec 24, 2005
Posted to Thread #13137 at 8:03 pm on Dec 19, 2008
Chocolate Mousse Hazelnut Cake
Matzo cake meal (for pan)
3 oz. hazelnuts toasted and ground (1 cup)
1/2 c. matzo cake meal
2 tbs. potato starch
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
8 egg yolks, room temperature
1/2 cup sugar
2 tsp. vanilla (optional)
4 egg whites, room temperature
1/8 tsp. salt
1/3 cup sugar
8 oz. semisweet chocolate
1/4 c. strong freshly brewed coffee
4 eggs, separated, room temperature
1 tbs. Passover brandy (or rum)
2 tbs. sugar
Shaved semisweet chocolate
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease bottom of 10-inch springform pan. Dust with cake meal, shaking off excess. Combine hazelnuts, 1/2 cup cake meal, potato starch and cinnamon in small bowl. Using electric mixer, beat yolks and 1/2 cup sugar until slowly dissolving ribbon forms when beaters are lifted. Blend in vanilla if desired. Using clean, dry beaters, beat whites and salt in another bowl until soft peaks form. Gradually add 1/3 cup sugar and beat until stiff but not dry. Gently fold 1/3 of whites into yolk mixture to lighten. Fold mixture back into whites. Sprinkle with hazelnut mixture and fold gently. Turn batter into prepared pan, spreading evenly. Bake until top is brown and tester inserted in center comes out clean, about 20 minutes. Cool cake completely in pan; cake will deflate.
Melt chocolate with coffee in double boiler over gently simmering water; stir until smooth. Let cool.
Beat yolks into chocolate mixture, 1 at a time. Blend in brandy. Beat whites until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar and beat until stiff but not dry. Gently fold whites into chocolate mixture. Spread mousse onto cake. Cover and refrigerate until mousse is firm, several hours or overnight.
Just before serving, remove springform from cake. Sprinkle top with chocolate.
Other messages in this thread:
- 13137. ISO: Chocolate Mousse cake from Bon Appetit, April 1985 (yes, that old). Thanks. [NT] - MarilynFL - 5:29pm on 12/19/08 (10)
- Sorry, I go back to '72 but that's one issue I don't have. [NT] - Marg CDN - 5:54pm on 12/19/08
- hmm. I did find this supposed adaptation of it though. Looks good. [NT] [LINK] - Marg CDN - 5:59pm on 12/19/08
- This one doesn't say adapted, don't know if it's any different or not. [NT] [LINK] - Curious1 - 7:11pm on 12/19/08
- The one we remember wasn't designated as kosher or a Passover cake. - MarilynFL - 11:15pm on 12/19/08
- Here you go, Marilyn. Chocolate Mousse Hazelnut Cake - KC_ - 8:03pm on 12/19/08
- Can someone give me the substitute for the matzo meal and potato starch? Is that just flour? [NT] - MarilynFL - 11:12pm on 12/19/08
- Marilyn, I just found this...have a look - Milk Chocolate Mousse Cake with Hazelnut Crunch Crust [NT] [LINK] - GayR - 11:31pm on 12/19/08
- Gay and Marilyn, I have made this cake many times and it is soooo good. I am - Barbara in VA - 1:50am on 12/20/08
- Thank you Barbara for the critique, always helpful. [NT] - GayR - 1:03pm on 12/20/08
- Thanks for the recipes! [NT] - MarilynFL - 1:39am on 12/22/08