Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
I agree with Shaun that there are many grades. My family always bought supermarket grade...
Joined: Dec 16, 2005
Posted to Thread #13375 at 7:16 pm on Jan 12, 2009
espresso --preground. Frankly, that's all we knew in those days. Today, I like to try different brands. When we go into a "little Italy" type area like the one on Arthur Ave in NYC, I'll buy specialty beans; and those are most always superior to prepackaged ones.
Shaun's brand is widely used by Italian coffee and pastry shops here--it's excellent.
I still have a can of decaf Medalia d'Oro in the freezer just in case.
If you surf around, you'll find that there are "finatics" out there who only buy small quantities at a time and grind only with special grinders, and only use hand pumped machines. I love it when I get a perfect cup made that way, but hesitate to get into it at that level.
Other messages in this thread:
- 13375. I just bought an espresso machine. Any suggestions, comments, hints? - DawnNYS - 12:37pm on 01/11/09 (16)
- Fill the basket with espresso grind coffee, fill the base up to but not covering - charlie - 1:20pm on 01/11/09
- The stove top-type takes a coarser grind than a countertop espresso machine... - Traca - 9:06pm on 01/11/09
- OK Traca--put on the pot and I'll bring the Sambuca--Truth be told; we use Madaglia d'oro in our - charlie - 11:12pm on 01/11/09
- LOL! Well...there's a funny story about that... - Traca - 2:22am on 01/12/09
- You've come a long way, baby! [NT] - Pat-NoCal - 3:09am on 01/12/09
- Traca, I love reading your posts. You've indeed come a long way and I really admire how - Curious1 - 1:33pm on 01/12/09
- Awww...I'm blushing! You made my day. Thank you! [NT] - Traca - 8:11pm on 01/12/09
- I know you meant this as a joke, charlie, but I need to know... are there different - DawnNYS - 4:34pm on 01/12/09
- Charlie will have an excellent answer, but pardon me if I barge in. YES, there are different grades - Shaun in TO - 6:08pm on 01/12/09
- I agree with Shaun that there are many grades. My family always bought supermarket grade... - charlie - 7:16pm on 01/12/09
- Shaun...great response! Here's an article: 10 Ways to Judge Good and Bad Coffee [LINK] - Traca - 8:09pm on 01/12/09
- Thanks - off to my local, uh, grocery store or coffee shop, wherever it is I end up! l ;o) [NT] - DawnNYS - 12:26pm on 01/13/09
- One other thing about stovetop espresso makers ... - Shaun in TO - 1:10pm on 01/13/09
- If anyone wants a hint on a french press--use coarser ground coffee so you don't have as much sludge - AngAk - 8:01pm on 01/13/09
- Thanks - I wonder why that is, Shaun. Good thing I know, though, was only - DawnNYS - 5:11am on 01/15/09
- And thanks for your tip too, Ang. I have a French press hiding somewhere - DawnNYS - 5:14am on 01/15/09