Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Chocolate Breakfast Muffins
Joined: Dec 19, 2005
Posted to Thread #13576 at 5:45 am on Jan 29, 2009
These are really good! Light and fluffy, and not too sweet.
I suggest using the weight meaurements. The first time I made these, I used the volume measurements. The second time, I used the weight measurements, and the muffins were even lighter, fluffier, and more moist.
Also, the second time, I omitted the chocolate chips inside, and added about 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips over the tops as soon as I removed the muffins from the pan, let the chips sit a minute or so, then spread them over the top.
CHOCOLATE BREAKFAST MUFFINS
2/3 cup (2 ounces) Dutch-process cocoa (I used Droste)
1 3/4 cups (7 1/4 ounces) King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour (I used Gold Medal Unbleached)
1 1/4 cups (9 3/8 ounces) light brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon espresso powder, optional (I used it)
3/4 teaspoon salt (I used 1/2 tsp)
1 cup (6 ounces) chocolate chips (I used a generous 1/2 cup Ghirardelli semi-sweet chips)
2 eggs (I brought them to room temperature)
1 cup (8 ounces) milk
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 teaspoons vinegar
1/2 cup (4 ounces, 1 stick) butter, melted (I used unsalted)
coarse pearl sugar, for topping (optional) (I omitted this)
Preheat the oven to 400°F. (I preheated to 375 F, because I used a dark nonstick pan). Line a standard muffin pan with paper or silicone muffin cups, and grease the cups. (I used paper liners and brushed them with a small amount of melted butter, plus I brushed the top of the pan).
In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the cocoa, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, espresso powder, salt, and chocolate chips. (I folded in the chips after mixing in the wet ingredients). Set aside.
In a large measuring cup or medium-sized mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, vanilla and vinegar. Add the wet ingredients, along with the melted butter, to the dry ingredients, stirring to blend; there's no need to beat these muffins, just make sure everything is well-combined. (I then folded in the chocolate chips).
Scoop the batter into the prepared muffin tin; the cups will be heaped with batter, and the muffin will bake into a "mushroom" shape. Sprinkle with pearl sugar, if desired.
Bake the muffins for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean. (I baked about 19 minutes). Remove the muffins from the oven, and after 5 minutes remove them from the pan, allowing them to cool for about 15 minutes on a rack before peeling off the muffin papers or silicone cups. (I didn't remove the paper liners).
Yield: 12 muffins.
From King Arthur Flour
A balanced diet is equal parts of milk and dark chocolate.
Other messages in this thread:
- 13576. Along the lines of Meryl's earlier post, ISO your favorite muffin. It doesn't matter - DawnNYS - 2:00pm on 01/28/09 (27)
- Since I am trying to eat "healthier," I found the recipe inside very good (more) - SusanLP - 2:16pm on 01/28/09
- Thanks Susan! These sound good and I hope you continue to be healthy! :o) [NT] - DawnNYS - 3:15pm on 01/28/09
- REC: Oatmeal Muffins [LINK] - Shaun in TO - 4:25pm on 01/28/09
- I made these when the recipe was in Gourmet, they are great! [NT] - arriba - 1:23am on 01/29/09
- Sounds like a great muffin, but working on subs to lower those carbs.. - suz - 10:51pm on 01/29/09
- REC: Blueberry Muffins - Shaun in TO - 4:30pm on 01/28/09
- Bran Muffins - old favourite family recipe. - Elenor - 5:04pm on 01/28/09
- Carole Walter's blueberry muffins - Stephanie-Oh - 5:07pm on 01/28/09
- Here are two that I make - carol whidbey Is - 5:08pm on 01/28/09
- "Sift add wet oven 375"--I love it! From "The Shorthand Ckbk"? [NT] - Shaun in TO - 5:43pm on 01/28/09
- Shaun one came from cooking without recipes. I hate to type - carol whidbey Is - 10:43pm on 01/28/09
- Thanks Carol, and everyone! Some great ideas here. [NT] - DawnNYS - 12:50pm on 01/29/09
- Some of my favorites: - Meryl - 9:01pm on 01/28/09
- Meryl - could you post the chocolate breakfast (of course), and the baked donut? Thanks! [NT] - cheezz - 4:33am on 01/29/09
- Here ya go, cheezz: [NT] - Meryl - 5:42am on 01/29/09
- Ooh, and the Medaglia D'Oro? Sounds like it'd go good with my new expresso! [NT] - DawnNYS - 12:49pm on 01/29/09
- REC: Lemon Sour Cream Blueberry Muffins... - charlie - 9:23pm on 01/28/09
- Thanks Charlie - I think I did make these once, called "Sunshine" muffins I think. Or maybe that - DawnNYS - 12:51pm on 01/29/09
- the Official NY State Apple Muffin is terrfic [NT] [LINK] - AngAk - 10:28pm on 01/29/09
- Sounds delicious, didn't know we had a muffin!! [NT] - suz - 10:49pm on 01/29/09
- Didn't you notice? That's what the state bird is sitting on :) [NT] - cheezz - 12:25am on 01/30/09
- I imagine ours would be full of fruits and nuts -- with a lot of cracks ...heehee [NT] - cheezz - 12:25am on 01/30/09