Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Two ounces of cooked meat, (burger) in a taco shell/tortilla is not much. . .
Joined: Dec 31, 2005
Posted to Thread #13762 at 4:47 pm on Feb 12, 2009
I used to work at a taco stand/fast food place and we would periodically measure our tacos (shell) and then put meat in them and measure again. Two ounces isn't as much as you think, unless you are using small tortilla/shells.
If people will be serving themselves the tortillas/taco shells and filling them with meat themselves and if you need at least 120 servings, I would pre-cook extra and have it waiting, ready and at heat in the oven to bring out. A lot of people will pile on the meat if serving themselves.
As for precooking the meat, yes, pre-cook, drain and then you might want to weigh and see how much you turn up with. Fill some shells/tortilla and see what the weight of the meat is in them. Then you will get a more accurate indication of how much meat you will need for your taco bar.
Also, cool the cooked meat rapidly, in shallow containers and refrigerate ASAP if you are not immediately refrigerating the meat after cooking. Store in the fridge in shallow containers.
Re-heat the meat on the stove to get it quickly up to temp and then you can place it in the serving pans and cover with foil or lids and hold in the oven till serving.
A Proud "Master Food Preserver San Bernardino County" since 1996!
Other messages in this thread:
- 13762. Calling all ServSafe and catering experts - re: cooking ground beef in advance - LisainLA - 3:42pm on 02/12/09 (16)
- Advice.... - Music City Missy - 3:52pm on 02/12/09
- Lisa, I concur with Missy here. [NT] - Sandy_in_Philly - 5:16pm on 02/12/09
- Two ounces of cooked meat, (burger) in a taco shell/tortilla is not much. . . - mistral - 4:47pm on 02/12/09
- Shallow containers for sure! You could spread the mixture out in several jelly roll pans, - Joe - 5:57pm on 02/12/09
- If they pre-cook the beef the day of the event, keeping it warm should not be such a challenge - Joe - 5:28pm on 02/12/09
- Thank you! Here's another question - etiquette related: - LisainLA - 6:44pm on 02/12/09
- Lisa, you could simply tell them the truth, that you bounced the idea off your foodie friends - Joe - 7:09pm on 02/12/09
- Joe puts it so politely and that is good as long as they understand, food safety is not negotiable? [NT] - Nan - 9:12pm on 02/12/09
- :-) Thanks Joe. I make things more complicated thatn they need to be, and - LisainLA - 8:03pm on 02/12/09
- Just read an article about a scout troup that had a goulash dinner. The plug - CynUpstateNY - 9:13pm on 02/12/09
- Yep - that's along the lines of my fears, because it can and does happen, despite - LisainLA - 11:46pm on 02/12/09
- Thanks everyone! I heard back form the coodinator, and all is well. - LisainLA - 5:54pm on 02/13/09
- ....and I seem to be "R" impaired this morning..... [NT] - LisainLA - 5:55pm on 02/13/09
- Lisa, once they know the safety rules, maybe you can suddenly develope an illness... - Joe - 5:35pm on 02/14/09