Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
If they would invite us, they can't be that exclusive!
Joined: Feb 20, 2006
Posted to Thread #13817 at 4:10 pm on Feb 17, 2009
After all these restaurants are a business and I'm sure hope to turn a profit and have to recruit new people. I think there are a lot of different motivations for having these dinners. I think for some it is a vanity project, some chefs don't want the day to day stress of running a restaurant and some have a special focus with the food. There is often a "value" aspect to it. The secrecy is part of the shtick. Ghetto Gourmet is a website devoted to underground restaurants and the symbol alot of them have is a skull with a chef's hat and fork and spoon as the cross bones. We went anticipating great food but what we really enjoyed was meeting people that had the same interest in food and wine that we do and much more knowledgeable than we are but in a very humble way. Most of all our friends and family think feta cheese is very exotic and don't drink wine. I think it would be fun to have your own dinner club with others who like to cook. That is the more elusive group!
Link: Ghetto Gourmet
Other messages in this thread:
- 13817. from the underground - wekick - 4:42am on 02/17/09 (14)
- thanks for the interesting report! [NT] - AngAk - 7:57am on 02/17/09
- I remember a story I heard Dee Snyder tell about when he was a young... - Michael in Phoenix - 1:57pm on 02/17/09
- If they would invite us, they can't be that exclusive! [LINK] - wekick - 4:10pm on 02/17/09
- I had colleagues that went to a "secret location" in an apt in Philly - barb_b - 4:36pm on 02/17/09
- Thanks for the update...I'd love to do this. [NT] - Amanda_Pennsylvania - 7:09pm on 02/17/09
- sounds like such fun! popcorn encrusted scallop????!! how'd they do that? [NT] - cheezz - 5:01am on 02/18/09
- Re: sounds like such fun! popcorn encrusted scallop????!! how'd they do that? - wekick - 1:34pm on 02/18/09
- and what kind of a flavor did it give it?? Or was it just for crunch? [NT] - cheezz - 12:32am on 02/19/09
- It did tast like popcorn. [NT] - wekick - 2:28pm on 02/20/09
- Was just reading a blog that talks about using popcorn to coat turkey cutlets. [NT] [LINK] - Curious1 - 8:56pm on 02/21/09
- What city was this in? Excellent report. My friend Michael is working on a book - Traca - 4:01am on 02/20/09
- It was in St. Louis. Years(30?) ago, we used to go to a guy's house - wekick - 2:56pm on 02/20/09
- Wow! That sounds awesome! My friend Michael is behind a project called [LINK] - Traca - 1:41am on 02/21/09