Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
I've always wanted to do this. Not to captain the boat though. IT sounds like
Joined: Dec 10, 2005
Posted to Thread #13821 at 5:08 pm on Feb 17, 2009
such a fine experience.
I recently found an article about a French canal cruise that was sort of a combination. It had a crew including chef, but you could choose to do the shopping with the chef at various stops, and help in the kitchen, getting instruction along the way. But if you wanted, you could do nothing but sit back and enjoy watching everyone else and various restaurants at the stops along the way.
And it was all luxury but provided that unique insight into the old towns, as you describe.
I need a vacation.
Other messages in this thread:
- 13821. NFR: Anyone with experience European river cruising? - Richard in Cincy - 2:33pm on 02/17/09 (18)
- Ireland - Sandra in New York - 2:45pm on 02/17/09
- I took a river cruise in Germany in Fall of 2007 starting in Prague thru Bavaria ending up in Paris - aajay - 3:17pm on 02/17/09
- We've twice rented a canal boat on the Canal du Midi in Southwest France - Joe - 3:22pm on 02/17/09
- I've always wanted to do this. Not to captain the boat though. IT sounds like - Marg CDN - 5:08pm on 02/17/09
- The boats are idiot-proof. They only go 5 mph and there are rubber bumpers all around. - Joe - 6:01pm on 02/17/09
- Okay. We won't have trouble finding the idiots. Now I really want to do this. [NT] - Marg CDN - 3:15am on 02/18/09
- Here is their website. We found it such a relaxing way to tour the countryside, and [LINK] - Joe - 3:33am on 02/18/09
- What a lovely dream for bedtime................Thanks Joe [NT] - Marg CDN - 3:46am on 02/18/09
- My fil has traveled on Uniworld tours a few years back. He enjoyed it, but he doesn't have... [LINK] - Michael in Phoenix - 3:26pm on 02/17/09
- Did this years ago in Germany when I was a kid. - Amanda_Pennsylvania - 5:54pm on 02/17/09
- I wish I did --- I've been checking out Burt Wolf's site - he's hosting a few for PBS [LINK] - Tess - 7:15pm on 02/17/09
- I couldn't remember if it was Burt or Rick Steves who had a great show on canal travel. [LINK] - AngAk - 7:27pm on 02/17/09
- I've seen the program where he travels on the river. It looks like a ton of fun ... - Michael in Phoenix - 8:06pm on 02/17/09
- Nope, but if you need someone to tote your luggage on/off the boats, I'll gladly volunteer! :) [NT] - ErininNY - 3:43pm on 02/18/09
- p.s. I also do dishes. [NT] - ErininNY - 3:45pm on 02/18/09
- Thanks for all the suggestions folks! [NT] - Richard in Cincy - 3:47pm on 02/19/09