Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
|Michael in Phoenix||
For barb b: REC: nlb's Beef Stroganoff
Joined: Dec 9, 2005
Posted to Thread #14037 at 7:04 pm on Mar 5, 2009
rec. Beef Stroganoff...>
This elegant recipe is easily multiplied.
2 1/2 lb. filet of beef tenderloin
5 1/2 T butter
1 1/2 c onion
2 cloves garlic, chopped fine
1 1/2 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced 1/4" thick
4 T flour
1 T meat extract paste, Bovril
1 1/2 T ketchup
1 t salt
freshly ground black pepper
10 1/2 oz. can beef bouillon, undiluted
1/2 c dry white wine
1 1/2 T finely snipped fresh dill
2 c sour cream
Fresh dill as garnish
Trim fat from meat. Cut filet crosswise (against grain) into 1/2 inch thick slices. Cut each slice across the grain into 1/2 inch wide strips.
Slowly heat a large heavy skillet. Melt 1 T of butter and add beef strips just enough to cover the skillet bottom. If necessary, do this process again. Over heat, sear quickly on all sides, with tongs, remove the beef as it browns. Brown outside — rare inside. Set aside.
In 3 T hot butter in the same skillet, sauté onions, garlic, and mushroom until onion is golden — about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat. Add flour, meat extract paste, ketchup, salt and pepper and stir until smooth. Gradually add the bouillon and bring to a boil stirring. Reduce the heat and simmer 5 minutes.
Over low heat, add the wine, snipped fill and sour cream, stirring until well combined. Do not boil.
Add beef and simmer just until the sauce and beef are hot.
2 T fresh dill over the top.
Serve in chafing dish with wide egg noodles.
Source: Helen J. White
Human liberty is about courage, dignity, eternal truths, and personal responsibility. Star Parker
Other messages in this thread:
- 14037. For barb b: REC: nlb's Beef Stroganoff [LINK] - Michael in Phoenix - 7:04pm on 03/05/09 (9)
- Thanks Michael! This is the rec that I use! Tx much for tracking it down. I believe I use - barb_b - 9:57pm on 03/05/09
- My pleasure. I always get a little verklempt whenever I see the old Gail's Swap page layout. [NT] - Michael in Phoenix - 10:25pm on 03/05/09
- <sniff> also verklemmt... ; ) [NT] - Richard in Cincy - 2:07pm on 03/06/09
- and can you believe I made a typo on that one! LOL [NT] - Richard in Cincy - 2:08pm on 03/06/09
- Here, too. Also when I see the name 'nlb' *sniff [NT] - GayleMO - 2:52pm on 03/06/09
- How did you get that, Michael? I remember you can get some of the posts from - DawnNYS - 2:44am on 03/07/09
- if this was a long time favorite, should it go in T&T? for old time's sake? [NT] [IMAGE] - AngAk - 6:34pm on 03/06/09
- Yes! Betty (?) can't be lost! [NT] - DawnNYS - 2:38am on 03/07/09
- What is "meat extract paste, Bovril"? [NT] - orchid - 5:24am on 03/07/09