Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Help with Chocolate frosting problems, what did I do wrong?
Joined: Dec 29, 2005
Posted to Thread #14167 at 12:04 am on Mar 17, 2009
I made the following recipe for Tangy Chocolate Frosting. Now, I have made this frosting many times before and never had any issues. I can't figure out what I did wrong or if there is a way to save it. I just hate to throw out the ingredients.
Tangy Chocolate Frosting (Bon Appetit)
1 stick butter
2 oz unsweetened choc, chopped
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 teas vanilla
1/3 cup plain yogurt
2 cups powdered sugar
You melt the chocolate and butter in a saucepan. Take it off the heat, and add the cocoa and vanilla and whisk. Add 1 cup sugar and the yogurt, whisk. Add the remaining sugar.
Now, I doubled the recipe (again, have done that before), and used sour cream instead of yogurt (which I have also done before). It all seemed okay until the last sugar went in and then it started to get really oily and it never came together smoothly. I tried to put it in my mixer-no help. I added more cocoa (thinking that I would soak up the extra oil. No help. Just clumpy and oily now. Can this be saved??? Ugh, I hate baking at 8:00 at night!
Other messages in this thread:
- 14167. Help with Chocolate frosting problems, what did I do wrong? - Jennifer_in_MA - 12:04am on 03/17/09 (13)
- Is it possible your chocolate and butter mixture were too hot when you added the other ingredients? - Sylvia - 12:54am on 03/17/09
- I'm thinking the same thing. There is a magic temperature (I'll find it) over which chocolate - MarilynFL - 1:15am on 03/17/09
- Here's the thread that talks about the temperature when adding butter.... [NT] [LINK] - MarilynFL - 1:19am on 03/17/09
- ...and here's a great thread that Pat found about chocolates and fats [NT] [LINK] - MarilynFL - 1:21am on 03/17/09
- Jenn, I've checked my 3 chocolate books and none mention how to fix this.... - MarilynFL - 1:36am on 03/17/09
- I do believe I've found a book concept: "Help! I screwed up!: Troubleshooting your culinary faux pas [NT] - MarilynFL - 1:37am on 03/17/09
- You really should write that, Marilyn. You write so well - Lana in FL - 1:45am on 03/17/09
- Aw, thanks Lana. I don't really know squat...I just talk like I do. [NT] - MarilynFL - 3:03pm on 03/17/09
- I bet if you can fool us, you can fool everybody :) [NT] - Lana in FL - 4:09am on 03/18/09
- When mayo does this they suggest beating in hot water a tablespoon at a time. Couldn't - Melissa Dallas - 1:51am on 03/17/09
- Maybe chilling it really well then beating again... give the butter time to solidify? [NT] - cheezz - 2:22am on 03/17/09
- Thanks, everyone! I did finally put it in the fridge (out of sheer frustration) - Jennifer_in_MA - 12:48pm on 03/17/09
- Jennifer, so sorry to hear of your frustrations but if it helps any you aren't alone! - Barbara in VA - 7:24pm on 03/17/09