Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Soppressata with Rigatoni, Olives, Capers and Tiny Tomatoes
Joined: Dec 12, 2005
Posted to Thread #14266 at 2:23 pm on Mar 27, 2009
Recipe is in this month's Food & Wine magazine. I can't find it online (oh, GAYR??) so I'm going to post it from memory. This will guarantee that I forget at least 3 items and 2 steps.
Where was I???
8 oz rigatoni
20 cherry or grape tomatoes + 1 Tbl Olive Oil ***
8 oz soppressata, sliced very thin and cut into 1" pieces.
3 Tbl olive oil
1 diced sweet onion (I added this)
1/4 C dry white wine
1/4 tsp pepper flakes (I added this)
1/2 C Kalamata olives
1/4 C capers, drained
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1/4 C fresh Italian parsley, chopped
***Instead of the cherry tomatoes, I used a large beefsteak tomato and while it was tasty, it cooked down to nothing. I think you need the small tomatoes to keep the integrity intact and get that acidic pop in your mouth.
Heat oven to 350 and roast tomatoes in 1 Tbl olive oil for 10 minutes. Remove.
Cook the pasta to al-dente per the recipe's instruction. We prefer it a bit <i>more</i> than "al dente" following Larry's 2-Minute Rule, which is: no matter <i>what</i> item you ask him to test for doneness (be it beast, fowl, or vegetable) it will invariably need "2 minutes more." Drain, but reserve 1 cup of pasta water.
Saute the soppressata in 3 Tbl of olive oil for 2-3 minutes. Remove to papertowel, but retain oil in pan.
Saute diced onion for a few minutes until soft and transparent. Add roasted tomatoes and wine and simmer for a few minutes, pressing down on tomates.
Add garlic and pepper flakes. Cook for 1 minute.
Add sopprasetta, olives, capers, parsley, and pasta. Add reserved water as needed to moisten.
Serve with warm crusty Italian or French bread.
This was made as a birthday present for Bachelor Neighbor. His all-time favorite dish is charlie's "Pasta Puttanesca" [linked], so this is a slight variation on that theme.
Jesus saves. Buddha recycles.
Other messages in this thread:
- 14266. Soppressata with Rigatoni, Olives, Capers and Tiny Tomatoes [LINK] - MarilynFL - 2:23pm on 03/27/09 (9)
- Wow! I can't even remember what I had for breakfast this morning ;-) [NT] - CynUpstateNY - 3:13pm on 03/27/09
- Rigatoni with Spicy Italian Salami, Cherry Tomatoes, Olives and Capers...is this the one? [NT] [LINK] - Curious1 - 9:59pm on 03/27/09
- Bingo! I used skinnier rigatoni with slanted ends...whatever that's called. [NT] - MarilynFL - 1:18am on 03/28/09
- penne [NT] - charlie - 10:37pm on 03/28/09
- Marilyn, I can't find it on their site or index of March issue. Haven't received April. [NT] - Curious1 - 10:08pm on 03/27/09
- Update....while we really enjoyed this, Bachelor Bob The Neighbor still likes charlie's puttanesca - MarilynFL - 4:09pm on 03/31/09
- Larry can cook pasta for me any day---I like it that way too. [NT] - AngAk - 7:08pm on 03/31/09
- Larry can cook pasta for me any day---I like it that way too. [NT] - AngAk - 7:09pm on 03/31/09
- oops. this didn't show up the first time. weird things going on today. [NT] - AngAk - 7:09pm on 03/31/09