Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
|CathyZ from Kauai||
If I have fat stalks I peel with a potato peeler before cutting end off and then....
Joined: Dec 10, 2005
Posted to Thread #14502 at 5:24 pm on Apr 18, 2009
I freeze them. If the stalks are thin and not too tough I freeze as is. Later I pull some out to make asparagus soup or to put in casseroles, pot roast, stir fries, batches of grilled veggies with hot oil to add to a salad, sometimes I saute with other veggies (onions, garlic, mushrooms, red sweet pepper), put in a sauce (usually a reduction of the butter and juices from the veg and half and half) and toss with pasta (I add black olives and fresh herbs) for a quick dinner.
Very versatile the lowly asparagus end.
Other messages in this thread:
- 14502. ? about asparagus ends - ejd - 5:04pm on 04/18/09 (16)
- If you mean the stem portion that isn't stringy, they're good in stir-fries. [NT] - KC_ - 5:14pm on 04/18/09
- this link had good ideas. I have made the pickled recipe twice now [LINK] - AngAk - 5:20pm on 04/18/09
- If I have fat stalks I peel with a potato peeler before cutting end off and then.... - CathyZ from Kauai - 5:24pm on 04/18/09
- I learned the hard way---do not put the peelings down the disposal. too stringy - AngAk - 1:56am on 04/19/09
- Oh god, same here $126 plumbing bill later and I've never put peelings down the disposal since. [NT] - Pat-NoCal - 1:58am on 04/19/09
- The Kitchen Aid disposal that came with this house was amazing. NOTHING got jammed. Until I put a - MarilynFL - 8:31pm on 04/19/09
- What's the point? - vavroom - 10:53pm on 04/19/09
- I told H last week that I'm taking the old KA disposal with me. It's 33 years old, had spoons, - Marg CDN - 2:45pm on 04/20/09
- LOL! (They certainly don't make them like they used to.....) [NT] - LisainLA - 4:22pm on 04/20/09
- FWIW - my grandfather is a plumber, and he recommends - LisainLA - 4:26pm on 04/20/09
- and I had a family of 5 coming for dinner. thank god for over the sink cutting board - AngAk - 11:07pm on 04/19/09
- easy and delicous soup with asparagus ends....... - Janet in NC - 8:19pm on 04/18/09
- thanks so much for the great info. [NT] - ejd - 3:12am on 04/19/09
- Here is how I do soup, ejd. I find the butts keep quite a while in the refrigerator--at least a week [NT] [LINK] - Joe - 3:04pm on 04/19/09
- Made the soup today--it was delicious-thankl you all NT [NT] - ejd - 2:59am on 04/22/09
- I like to save them in the freezer. They make excellent, richly flavored asparagus stock. [NT] - Angiebaby - 4:00pm on 04/19/09