Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
A labor of love for sure, but a little less laborious with Julia Child's shortcut.
Joined: Dec 14, 2005
Posted to Thread #1503 at 5:13 pm on Apr 18, 2006
Peel the potatoes and cut into 1/4-inch slices (or large dice.) Put them into a pan of cold water as you do them. Drain the water (this gets rid of some of the starch) and cover again with cold water, measuring as you go. Add 1 tsp. salt for each quart of water.
Bring to the simmer, then simmer very gently until just tender when you bite into one. Start testing after a few minutes.
Scoop out some of the water and reserve, then drain the rest out of the pan. Cover the pan and let the potatoes firm up for 4 minutes. (This really works!)
Turn into a large bowl and sprinkle with vinegar and some of the cooking liquid. (I never measure, but Julia says for 3 lbs. potatoes, use 3 Tbs. vinegar plus enough liquid to measure 2/3 cup.) The potatoes will absorb the liquid as they cool, and won't soak up so much dressing.
Other messages in this thread:
- 1503. ISO: Fav Potato Salad Recipe - audball - 1:37pm on 04/17/06 (27)
- Sour Cream Dill Potato Salad - Melissa Dallas - 2:21pm on 04/17/06
- I agree with Melissa that this is a good one too! (NT) [NT] - kpinky - 6:00pm on 04/17/06
- REC: Picnic Potato Salad (from Bon Appetit) and a few tweaks... [LINK] - Joe - 3:31pm on 04/17/06
- Our favorite & Mom's winner potato salad (not yellow!!) - kpinky - 4:33pm on 04/17/06
- Dawn's "Stuffed potato" potato salad is very good [NT] [LINK] - AngAk - 8:21pm on 04/17/06
- REC: L.I. deli potato salad - Randi - 9:25pm on 04/17/06
- kpinky won't like this one (LOL-Miracle Whip in mine) but here is my favorite - CathyZ from Kauai - 10:59pm on 04/17/06
- I must agree Cathy, MW rules! Your recipe is like my basic one, sans the olives and wasabi - AngAk - 11:23pm on 04/17/06
- Ah, a couple 'o true Midwesterners in the 49th and 50th states...we took our MW with us - CathyZ from Kauai - 12:43am on 04/18/06
- Cathy - I used to dice Claussen's into my potato salad...it was great! - GayleMO - 7:39pm on 04/18/06
- Achhh! And I'm from Minnesota! ... - kpinky - 11:43am on 04/18/06
- Oops ~ sorry ~ that's CathyZ with a "C"! (NT) [NT] - kpinky - 11:55am on 04/18/06
- Roasted red peppers, arugula & a regular food processor mayonnaise made with capers. All - Marg CDN - 12:17pm on 04/18/06
- Marg ~ this sounds so good. Could you post the whole recipe including mayo?? Thanx! [NT] - kpinky - 1:02pm on 04/18/06
- My 'recipes' are getting so old. (and me I guess) I'll see what I can put together. [NT] - Marg CDN - 1:43pm on 04/18/06
- My Momís Potato Salad - Sandy_in_Philly - 4:07pm on 04/18/06
- A labor of love for sure, but a little less laborious with Julia Child's shortcut. - Joe - 5:13pm on 04/18/06
- Only problem being is that - Sandy_in_Philly - 6:02pm on 04/18/06
- Duh! Correction, -- I then dice them to 3/4" before cooling completely. [NT] - Sandy_in_Philly - 6:03pm on 04/18/06
- Oops, I wasn't clear. The slices would be 1/4 inch thick. I was assuming dices would be larger. - Joe - 10:25pm on 04/18/06
- Another shortcut is to micro the potatoes, wrapping to steam a bit, then cool well and peel. [NT] - AngAk - 5:56pm on 04/19/06
- Rec: My Sister's Potato Salad - AnnNoVA - 8:43pm on 04/18/06
- New Potato and Green Bean Salad - AngAk - 12:36am on 04/19/06
- REC: My MIL's potato salad - JadaORE - 1:16am on 04/19/06
- Rec: Momís Potato Salad - Pat-NoCal - 8:14pm on 04/22/06