Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Newly retired hubbie got "sticker shock" when he saw we spent $625 on groceries
Joined: Dec 12, 2005
Posted to Thread #15085 at 2:39 pm on Jun 10, 2009
last month. So now we're going on a food budget.
This should be interesting because one of the little "things" I do for myself after years and years of low income is to NOT limit myself when shopping for food. If I want an $8 jar of "Fru-Fru Sauce with Kumquats" I buy it. On the other hand, I'll buy a whole chicken and have Lar cut it up to avoid price gouging for boneless, skinless chicken breasts. You never lose that "somewhat poor" gene.
My cooking/baking has changed radically over the past 15 years (thanks to all the great recipes at epicurious, Gail's Swap and Finer Kitchens). I try new things almost every day, which means I buy a lot more food items and rarely make the same recipe. That will have to change.
One other twist is Larry likes meat protein. It's not <i>really</i> a meal if it doesn't have meat in it. This is the result of being the only son of a butcher man. So that will take a sizable $ chunk out of the budget. He'd also like to eat more fish...which is actually more expensive than red meat here. Go figure..we have an OCEAN 3 miles away.
I haven't a clue where to start. Guess make up a weekly menu?
Jesus saves. Buddha recycles.
Other messages in this thread:
- 15085. Newly retired hubbie got "sticker shock" when he saw we spent $625 on groceries - MarilynFL - 2:39pm on 06/10/09 (40)
- I find that buying lots when it's on sale and freezing works perfectly for me. Chicken thighs, lamb - Marg CDN - 3:15pm on 06/10/09
- `Oh, i don't know--why don't you just let him do the food shopping for a couple of months. [NT] - aajay - 3:46pm on 06/10/09
- tried that before, aajay. He comes home with his olives and his marinated garlic and - MarilynFL - 3:58pm on 06/10/09
- Well maybe you can each buy your own food for a while on his budget and see who gets to eat better>> - aajay - 8:34pm on 06/10/09
- I make out a very exact grocery list for - Dawn_MO - 8:43pm on 06/10/09
- I understand... DH could live on tortilla chips with Costco queso sauce in the 50 lb. can - cheezz - 5:09am on 06/11/09
- Do a search on those "bought once for a special recipe" items so you can use them before they go bad - Luisa_Calif - 3:16pm on 06/10/09
- In order to satisfy Larry’s penchant for meat protein, why don’t you buy [IMAGE] - FloriSandy - 3:31pm on 06/10/09
- Oh lol [NT] - DawnNYS - 3:43pm on 06/10/09
- Ditto!! [NT] - MarilynFL - 3:59pm on 06/10/09
- LOL [NT] - joanietoo - 4:38pm on 06/10/09
- Laugh but that's what I'm doing :-) Three couples are going in on one. - CynUpstateNY - 5:47pm on 06/10/09
- I have also limited my fru-fru sauce purchases... but occasionally I get the urge - DawnNYS - 3:42pm on 06/10/09
- sales...pleeeeze may we ahve some of those here. [NT] - joanietoo - 4:37pm on 06/10/09
- A spin on Aajays suggestion is working for us. Dh approached me about this recently. Even though - barb_b - 4:11pm on 06/10/09
- That also happened to me. Better Half about fainted when he realized what our - EvaN - 4:15pm on 06/10/09
- lol.......somethings do work without an argument :) [NT] - joanietoo - 4:37pm on 06/10/09
- This is priceless! I bow to you, Oh Master. I'm not worthy of even mushy vegetables. [NT] - MarilynFL - 5:09pm on 06/10/09
- brilliant! [NT] - AngAk - 6:35pm on 06/10/09
- Years ago I learnt that "buying a roast is more expensive" is a falicy/phylicy (Geez......).... - joanietoo - 4:34pm on 06/10/09
- Great suggestions...key will be to pull L into the effort. Thanks again. [NT] - MarilynFL - 5:29pm on 06/10/09
- ...and I WON'T be showing him this post. [NT] - MarilynFL - 7:19pm on 06/10/09
- get him a fishin' pole and net. send him out early every mornin' to the beach. ocean fishing - AngAk - 6:30pm on 06/10/09
- Fishermen at our inlet are getting MRSA infections for free. - MarilynFL - 6:40pm on 06/10/09
- Getting MRSA infections for free? What does this mean? - KarenNoCA - 11:19pm on 06/10/09
- They get cuts from the rocks and hooks and then staph sets in. - MarilynFL - 12:06am on 06/11/09
- OK, so you'll have to buy him a boat. [NT] - AngAk - 1:01am on 06/11/09
- Both of my aunts got this, and once you get it you are deemed a "carrier" and the hospitals don't - Heather_in_SF - 1:44am on 06/11/09
- Ethnic markets are a good place to look for cheap protein & sometimes fruit & veggies. - Melissa Dallas - 7:43pm on 06/10/09
- Wow, and I got excited because boston butt is on sale for .99 a lb. [NT] - Curious1 - 7:47pm on 06/10/09
- Now that I'm on a very strict job-less budget I'm getting creative with food shopping. - Heather_in_SF - 1:53am on 06/11/09
- Frozen fish stacked like little novels... :)))) Love this! [NT] - ErininNY - 1:34pm on 06/11/09
- Heather, trading leftovers with friends is a great idea! [NT] - EvaN - 1:34pm on 06/11/09
- I wouldn't have thought of putting them in water...just thought they'd get "water-logged" and mushy. - MarilynFL - 2:08pm on 06/11/09
- Be sure the water is ice cold and freeze as quickly as possible. [NT] - Curious1 - 2:41pm on 06/11/09
- Great ideas--thanks much. [NT] - Amanda_Pennsylvania - 1:49am on 06/12/09
- That is exactly what happened when I lost my job - DH had a fit on groceries - Music City Missy - 5:31pm on 06/11/09
- Oh good for you Mar....he can be a big helper in the kitchen. ;0) I only - orchid - 6:53pm on 06/12/09