Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
My Saturday 6
Joined: Jun 16, 2006
Posted to Thread #15707 at 2:55 pm on Aug 1, 2009
1. Started by watering and fertilizing tomatoes with Espoma Tomato. Picked the first two red grape tomatoes and there are a million or so green ones coming at every size (some still as blossoms!) I also have 2 other regular tomato plants in containers filling with various sized green fruit.
2. Still no zucchinis attached to the flowers but I harvested 6 nice blossoms and will be chiffonading them to add to the individual croissant quiches I'm making tomorrow. Need to defrost 2#'s of bacon today!
3. After breakfast, I'm starting on Greg's Birthday Carrot Cake Bars for my brother-in-law's birthday celebration tonight. I looked through the FK swap for the recipe but couldn't find it so here's what we love:
1 cup raisins plumped in hot water
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsps baking soda
2 1/2 tsps cinnamon
1/4 tsp cloves
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup of grated carrots
2 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
12 oz carrot baby food
2 cups coconut (save 1 cup for frosting)
8 oz softened cream cheese
1/4 cup softened butter
1 1/2 tsps vanilla extract
1 1/3 cups powdered sugar
toasted macadamia or walnuts (opt)
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour (we use finely ground almonds in place of flour) a 12"x18"x2" jelly roll pan. Sift together the flour, baking soda, spices and salt. Set aside. 2) In a food processor, grate carrots and set aside. Change to blade. Beat sugar and eggs for 20 seconds. Add oil slowly in a stream. Process 20 seconds. Scrape into a large bowl. 3) Stir in baby food, 1 cup of coconut, raisins, and grated carrots. Add flour mixture and stir until no streaks appear - do not over mix 4) Spread batter into the pan. Bake for 20-35 minutes. Allow cake to cool before icing. 5) Make cream cheese icing by combining cream cheese, butter and vanilla extract in a medium bowl. Beat in sugar until smooth. 6) Ice cooled cake. Sprinkle with coconut and/or nuts.
4. I need to run out to the "little market" for their special ground round (and great big buns) so hubby can make his famous Auggie burgers for his little sister and her birthday-boy husband.
5. My youngest is downtown at a friend's art show and I'm "wishing" that he will call before he comes home mid-afternoon and offer to pick up potato salad for dinner - NOT! Or maybe the oldest will spring from his bed and volunteer to go - not likely. (Neither boy will eat potato salad!) I suggested to hubby that I can make layered salad - lettuce, peas, green onions, sliced eggs, more lettuce, bacon (this is the reason for the extra pound of bacon defrosting), grated swiss, and mayo/parm topping - but he said, "Too much work." So maybe he'll drive cross town to our one and only Red, Hot and Blue. Aside from my own recipe - which is too much work - RH&B's is my absolute favorite!
6. Do a final clean around the house and head out for a walk downtown around noon with hubby. I'm salivating over the chicken Greek salad we'll share! Colleen
PS I'm really, really looking forward to Julie and Julia later this week!
Other messages in this thread:
- 15707. My Saturday 6 - colleenmomof2 - 2:55pm on 08/01/09 (21)
- Thanks for posting the carrot bar recipe, Colleen! :) Here are my six.... - ErininNY - 8:55pm on 08/01/09
- My Travelin' Six - DawnNYS - 9:55pm on 08/01/09
- Dawn, those photos are fantastic! Here's the mint drink recipe: :) - ErininNY - 8:50pm on 08/02/09
- Great, thanks! [NT] - DawnNYS - 10:34pm on 08/02/09
- great pics Dawn. Love how you captured the small town event. now I'm craving sauerkraut! [NT] - AngAk - 6:03pm on 08/03/09
- Did you notice the steeple topped with sauerkraut thanks to Photoshop? ;O) [NT] - DawnNYS - 2:09am on 08/04/09
- yes, gave me a chuckle, but, I wondered for a moment was it photoshop or not. [NT] - AngAk - 6:47pm on 08/04/09
- My weekend Six plus a bonus... - orchid - 7:06pm on 08/02/09
- now... if you were REALLY "all about helpin' out", you'd invite us for dinner - it sounds delish! [NT] - cheezz - 12:23am on 08/03/09
- The extra bedroom is ready, the pool is warm and we wait for your visit.. - orchid - 2:21am on 08/03/09
- where are you? I know my DD in Austin is hot right now and I hear Oregon and WA are getting hit. [NT] - cheezz - 4:20am on 08/03/09
- South Florida cheez. West of Ft. Lauderdale on the edges of the Everglades. [LINK] - orchid - 3:04am on 08/04/09
- you mean like this? >>> [NT] [LINK] - cheezz - 3:42am on 08/04/09
- There ya go! Lots of fun and if you have a good Pilot who knows his - orchid - 6:17pm on 08/04/09
- awesome! the gator guy is crazy though. kinda reminds me of when I have to pry my garden gloves - AngAk - 6:54pm on 08/04/09
- Hot is right but I enjoyed floating in the warm sea-green Gulf of Mexico yesterday! [NT] - FloriSandy - 4:28am on 08/03/09
- Sounds wonderful Sandy! [NT] - DawnNYS - 7:38am on 08/04/09
- orchid, recipe for the onion relish, please. I love love onions. wish I would think to throw onion - AngAk - 5:59pm on 08/03/09
- Awww....you bet and I'm so glad you ask because this is really good. - orchid - 2:13am on 08/04/09