Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
|Steve2 in LA||
Here's the recipe. I'd never made it before so I don't know what I'm going to use it on, however >>>
Joined: Feb 7, 2006
Posted to Thread #15841 at 7:05 am on Aug 14, 2009
after tasting it, my first thought is to use it like a kick-ass ketchup. Next time, I think I'll toss in some fresh herbs at the end.
The splash of Tabasco and red pepper flakes give this a touch of heat. Because it's more of a condiment than jam, it's gonna be pretty versatile and should pair with a variety of things. I'm thinking of serving it over brie or goat cheese and definitely with fresh mozzarella on crostini. It could be a tasty glaze on meatloaf and if mixed with mayo, a piquant take on French dressing.
I should mention I cooked the tomatoes nearly twice as long as the recipe indicates to reduce them to what I felt was "jam consistency". Still it's a pretty cool way to use up extra tomatoes and it looks GREAT in the jar. Yields 4-5 half-pint jars.
5 lb TOMATOES, very ripe
3 cups SUGAR
1 tsp TABASCO
1 tsp SALT
1 tsp BLACK PEPPER
1 tsp RED PEPPER FLAKES
Chop up all tomatoes in a uniform size. Discard the seeds.
Add all ingredients in a medium sized stock pot and turn on high heat until the mixture comes to a boil.
Reduce to low heat and let reduce until it is jam consistency, about 1-1/2 hours.
When thick, remove from the heat and transfer mixture to jars. Process 10 minutes in a water bath or as you would any other jam or jelly.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
Other messages in this thread:
- 15841. roasting tomatoes for the first time..what is wrong? - Anna_X - 10:13pm on 08/12/09 (25)
- Anna, some thoughts about that... - Richard in Cincy - 10:26pm on 08/12/09
- I did pour off the cherry tomato juices (saved!) - Anna_X - 10:34pm on 08/12/09
- I use the hot oven too. 475. My oven is slow anyway so I crank it up on everything. [NT] - Richard in Cincy - 11:03pm on 08/12/09
- I roast tomatoes three times a week all summer long and yes, there is a point - KarenNoCA - 11:05pm on 08/12/09
- Damn!! I'm drooling all over my keyboard! Unctuousness goodies, indeed! [NT] - Michael in Sarasota - 11:20pm on 08/12/09
- So on this. I went out the garden and picked tomatoes... - Richard in Cincy - 12:59am on 08/13/09
- Can I first of all say, wow, my house smells so amzing... - Richard in Cincy - 1:15am on 08/13/09
- I'm coming for lunch tomorrow. Hope that's ok. ;) [NT] - ErininNY - 2:10am on 08/13/09
- Erin, it would be a privelege an honor to host you for lunch.... - Richard in Cincy - 3:06am on 08/13/09
- Stop, or I will have to buy a drool protector for my keyboard! (Thanks, though.) :) [NT] - ErininNY - 4:17am on 08/13/09
- LOL: I was just telling Sandra how upset I was that... - Richard in Cincy - 5:04am on 08/13/09
- OMG, that sounds so good! - Anna_X - 5:16pm on 08/13/09
- I passed by the buckets of tomato seconds at the farmers market this morning... - Barbara in VA - 1:31pm on 08/13/09
- I'm making Tomato Jam today. ANOTHER use for those tomato seconds. Mmmmmm, tomato jam! [NT] - Steve2 in LA - 7:17pm on 08/13/09
- Share your recipe, Steve? And what do you use your jam on? [NT] - Pat-NoCal - 8:13pm on 08/13/09
- Here's the recipe. I'd never made it before so I don't know what I'm going to use it on, however >>> - Steve2 in LA - 7:05am on 08/14/09
- Sounds good, thanks for sharing. Do you peel the tomatoes? [NT] - Pat-NoCal - 7:14am on 08/14/09
- No peeling, just seed 'em. I did my "chopping" in the cuisinart. Fast n' easy. [NT] - Steve2 in LA - 7:32am on 08/14/09
- kicking ketchup, the recipe in - Richard in Cincy - 4:19pm on 08/14/09
- I eat my tomato jam on crackers with slices of cheddar - Lana in FL - 2:52pm on 08/14/09
- Steve, you might want to try this Tomato Jam from Martha Stewart. [LINK] - orchid - 2:08pm on 08/14/09
- Orchid, this looks good too but I'm starting to think that ALL these tomato jam are > > - Steve2 in LA - 8:36pm on 08/14/09
- Not to worry Steve, you won't find this one anywhere near the same as Ketchup. I promise! [NT] - orchid - 9:14pm on 08/14/09