Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Mexican Roadside Chicken with Green Onions from Rick Bayless, winner Top Chef Master
Joined: Feb 25, 2006
Posted to Thread #16061 at 8:08 pm on Sep 2, 2009
Mexican Roadside Chicken with Green Onions
- serves 4 -
Adapted from Mexican Everyday by Rick Bayless
For the rub:
1 1/2 teaspoons ground ancho chile powder
1 teaspoon dried oregano, preferably Mexican
A big pinch of ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped or crushed through a garlic press
3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup fresh orange juice
1 teaspoon salt, plus a little more for the onions
1 large chicken, about 3 lbs, butterflied
2 large bunches of green onions or knob onions
A little olive oil for brushing the onions
Grilled tomatillo salsa, for serving
1. Light a chimney 3/4 full of charcoal. While the charcoal is lighting, mix all the ingredients for the rub together in a small bowl.
2. When the charcoal is fully lit and covered in gray ash, pour coals out and arrange them on one side of the charcoal grate, keeping the other side empty. Place the chicken over the cool side of the grill, skin side down, and brush exposed side with the wet rub. Flip the chicken over and brush the other side with the rub. Cover the grill and cook, basting occasionally with any remaining rub, at 350 degrees until an instant read thermometer reads 165 degrees when inserted into the thickest part of the breast, about 45 minutes. Remove the chicken from the grill and allow to rest for 10 to 15 minutes.
3. While the chicken is resting, brush the onions with olive oil and season with salt. Place the onions over the hot side of the grill and cook until tender and browned, about 5 minutes per side.
4. To serve, cut the chicken into quarters, top with green onions and tomatillo salsa.
Other messages in this thread:
- 16061. Mexican Roadside Chicken with Green Onions from Rick Bayless, winner Top Chef Master [LINK] - Marsha tbay - 8:08pm on 09/02/09 (7)
- Oh, Oh, that looks wonderful and you know I love the citrus and heat, with garlic a given!!!! thanks [NT] - Nan - 8:17pm on 09/02/09
- I was just wondering what to grill this weekend. This looks great. I was so glad Rick won. He - Melissa Dallas - 8:50pm on 09/02/09
- I don't know if you caught the last show or not. The judges were oohing aahing for a sauce he had; - Marsha tbay - 8:57pm on 09/02/09
- His mole. I watched a travel show once where they were showing the women in a little - Melissa Dallas - 12:51am on 09/03/09
- Melissa, I couldn't remember what it was, but you're right, it was mole. I wish I'd seen the show - Marsha tbay - 12:56am on 09/03/09
- It would. I just looked at his Frontera items he sells, but mole isn't one of them. Some of his - Melissa Dallas - 2:29am on 09/03/09
- Well here is one with 20+ ingredients that I have packed around for a long time. [LINK] - Nan - 2:51am on 09/03/09