Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
This is my favorite chocolate ice cream: Chocolate Ganache Ice Cream:
Joined: Dec 19, 2005
Posted to Thread #16110 at 4:20 pm on Sep 8, 2009
CHOCOLATE GANACHE ICE CREAM
***NOTE: The recipe fails to list an important step, and that is to strain the custard before adding to the chocolate ganache. I've noted it in parentheses below.
I suggest adding 1/2 tsp vanilla extract. The taste was a little flat without it, and the vanilla rounded it out. (I used 1/4 tsp Penzey's double vanilla, which is equal to 1/2 tsp regular strength vanilla).
6 oz bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped (I used Ghirardelli 60% bittersweet)
1 1/2 cups heavy cream, divided
1 cup whole milk
4 large egg yolks
1/3 cup sugar
Put chocolate in 2-quart liquid measuring cup or large heatproof bowl.
Bring 3/4 cup cream to a boil. Pour cream over chocolate and let sit a minute, then, using rubber spatula and starting in center of mixture, stir cream into chocolate in ever-widening circles. When ganache is smooth, set aside.
Bring milk and remaining 3/4 cup cream to a boil in medium heavy-bottomed saucepan.
Meanwhile, in medium bowl, whisk yolks and sugar together until well blended and just slightly thickened. Still whisking, drizzle in about 1/3 of the hot liquid - this will temper, or warm, the yolks so they won't curdle. Whisking all the while, slowly pour in remaining liquid.
Pour custard back into pan and cook over medium heat, stirring without stopping, until custard thickens slightly and coats the back of a spoon; if you run your finger down bowl of spoon, custard should not run into the track. The custard should reach at least 170 degrees F, but no more than 180 degrees F, on instant-read thermometer. (I heat to about 180 F). Immediately remove pan from heat, ***(strain it into a bowl), and slowly and gently stir custard into ganache. (I mixed in vanilla extract after stirring custard into ganache).
Refrigerate custard until chilled before churning into ice cream. (I chill overnight).
Scrape chilled custard into bowl of ice cream maker and churn according to manufacturer's instructions. Pack ice cream into container and freeze at least 2 hours, until firm enough to scoop.
Serving: If ice cream is very firm - as ice cream made with premium-quality chocolate often is - allow to sit on counter a few minutes before scooping.
Storing: Packed tightly in covered container, ice cream will keep in freezer about 2 weeks.
From "Baking From My Home To Yours" - Dorie Greenspan
A balanced diet is equal parts of milk and dark chocolate.
Other messages in this thread:
- 16110. Pistachio-Cardamom Ice Cream - Traca - 10:57pm on 09/12/09 (5)
- 16110. Ice cream thread? Have we done one of those yet? Can we start with Maria's Malted Milk ice cream? [NT] - cheezz - 7:11pm on 09/07/09 (36)
- Here's my contribution, recipe for Jack Daniel's Chocolate Ice Cream - Steve2 in LA - 1:34am on 09/08/09
- The Depths of Chocolate Ice Cream Not T&T, but adapted recipe of Perfect Scoop by David Lebovitz [LINK] - Ann - 10:57am on 09/15/09
- This is my favorite chocolate ice cream: Chocolate Ganache Ice Cream: - Meryl - 4:20pm on 09/08/09
- From David Lebovitz: Vietnamese Coffee Ice Cream (thanks, Traca): - Meryl - 4:22pm on 09/08/09
- The best Chocolate Gelato: [LINK] - Meryl - 4:24pm on 09/08/09
- David Levoitz's Malted Milk Ice Cream [LINK] - cheezz - 1:04am on 09/09/09
- Decadent Guava Lime Cheesecake Ice Cream [LINK] - cheezz - 1:05am on 09/09/09
- Gianduja Gelato (thanks, Traca!) [LINK] - cheezz - 1:11am on 09/09/09
- Lemon Buttermilk Sherbert from Traca [LINK] - cheezz - 1:12am on 09/09/09
- Chunky Ginger Ice Cream [LINK] - cheezz - 1:13am on 09/09/09
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Ice Cream (Traca) - cheezz - 1:15am on 09/09/09
- Alice Medrich's Bittersweet Chocolate Ice Cream [LINK] - cheezz - 1:43am on 09/09/09
- Pineapple Sorbet from Michael "in Sarasota" [LINK] - cheezz - 1:44am on 09/09/09
- Bing Cherry, Chocolate Chip, Walnut Ice Cream from Richard in Cincy [LINK] - cheezz - 1:47am on 09/09/09
- Rum Ice Cream from Traca [LINK] - cheezz - 1:47am on 09/09/09
- Cherry Sherbert, from Traca [LINK] - cheezz - 1:48am on 09/09/09
- Blueberry Sherbert, from Traca [LINK] - cheezz - 1:48am on 09/09/09
- Aint Tee's Luscious Lemon Ice Cream, from Traca [LINK] - cheezz - 1:50am on 09/09/09
- Caramel Chocolate Pecan Ice Cream from: Barefoot Contessa (posted by Ann) [LINK] - cheezz - 1:51am on 09/09/09
- Malted, Salted Caramel Ice Cream, by Traca [LINK] - cheezz - 1:54am on 09/09/09
- Peanut Butter Swirl Ice Cream, by Traca [LINK] - cheezz - 1:55am on 09/09/09
- Grandmother’s Lemon Custard Ice Cream by Richard Sax [LINK] - Ann - 9:02am on 09/09/09
- Rec: Roasted Banana Ice Cream - MoNJ - 1:12pm on 09/09/09
- Chez Panisse Desserts: Cinnamon Apple Ice Cream [LINK] - Ann - 10:49pm on 09/09/09
- Rec: Dulce de Leche Ice Cream [LINK] - Pat-NoCal - 4:58am on 09/10/09
- Coffee Granita with Sambuca Cream and Chocolate Shavings [LINK] - Shaun in TO - 3:03pm on 09/10/09
- Calvados Sorbet [LINK] - Shaun in TO - 3:05pm on 09/10/09
- Strawberry Sorbet from the River Café [LINK] - Shaun in TO - 3:08pm on 09/10/09
- Coconut Ice Cream - Shaun in TO - 3:09pm on 09/10/09
- Strawberry Mascarpone Ice Cream - MariaDNoCA - 8:39am on 09/11/09
- Chocolate-Peanut Butter Ice Cream - Traca - 10:54pm on 09/12/09