Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
David Levoitz's Malted Milk Ice Cream
Joined: Jul 17, 2006
Posted to Thread #16110 at 1:04 am on Sep 9, 2009
posted by MariaDNoCA
I'm going to break in my new ice cream maker for the first time. My MIL loves malted milk balls (and so do I) so thought this might be a fun first try to bring to a bbq.
I've never really made a real deal french custard ice cream before. I tried a sugarless one once but who knew if that came out right or not, I mean it was *sugar-less* so who could tell?!
It's chillin' in the fridge so here's hoping it'll be good!
Malted Milk Ice Cream
1 c half n half
3/4 c sugar
pinch of salt
2 c heavy cream
1/4 t vanilla extract
2/3 malt powder
6 egg yolks
2 c malted milk balls, corsely chopped
(Note I like to prep ice bath first)
Warm half-and-half, sugar, and salt in a med saucepan. In a large bowl, whisk together cream, vanilla, and malt powder then set a mesh strainer on top of bowl in prep for later.
In a seperate med bowl, whisk egg yolks. Slowly pour the warmed mixed into eggs, whisking constantly, then scrape warmed egg mixture back into saucepan.
Stir mixture constantly over medium heat with heatproof spatula scraping bottom as you stir, until mixture thickens and coats the spatula. Pour custard through strainer and whisk into malted milk mixture. Stir until cool over ice bath.
Chill mixture thoroughly in refridgerator (overnight is best) then freeze in your ice cream maker according to manufacturer's instructions. As you remove ice cream from machine, fold in malt balls.
Inside me lives a skinny woman crying to get out, but I can usually shut her up with cookies!
Other messages in this thread:
- 16110. Pistachio-Cardamom Ice Cream - Traca - 10:57pm on 09/12/09 (5)
- 16110. Ice cream thread? Have we done one of those yet? Can we start with Maria's Malted Milk ice cream? [NT] - cheezz - 7:11pm on 09/07/09 (36)
- Here's my contribution, recipe for Jack Daniel's Chocolate Ice Cream - Steve2 in LA - 1:34am on 09/08/09
- The Depths of Chocolate Ice Cream Not T&T, but adapted recipe of Perfect Scoop by David Lebovitz [LINK] - Ann - 10:57am on 09/15/09
- This is my favorite chocolate ice cream: Chocolate Ganache Ice Cream: - Meryl - 4:20pm on 09/08/09
- From David Lebovitz: Vietnamese Coffee Ice Cream (thanks, Traca): - Meryl - 4:22pm on 09/08/09
- The best Chocolate Gelato: [LINK] - Meryl - 4:24pm on 09/08/09
- David Levoitz's Malted Milk Ice Cream [LINK] - cheezz - 1:04am on 09/09/09
- Decadent Guava Lime Cheesecake Ice Cream [LINK] - cheezz - 1:05am on 09/09/09
- Gianduja Gelato (thanks, Traca!) [LINK] - cheezz - 1:11am on 09/09/09
- Lemon Buttermilk Sherbert from Traca [LINK] - cheezz - 1:12am on 09/09/09
- Chunky Ginger Ice Cream [LINK] - cheezz - 1:13am on 09/09/09
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Ice Cream (Traca) - cheezz - 1:15am on 09/09/09
- Alice Medrich's Bittersweet Chocolate Ice Cream [LINK] - cheezz - 1:43am on 09/09/09
- Pineapple Sorbet from Michael "in Sarasota" [LINK] - cheezz - 1:44am on 09/09/09
- Bing Cherry, Chocolate Chip, Walnut Ice Cream from Richard in Cincy [LINK] - cheezz - 1:47am on 09/09/09
- Rum Ice Cream from Traca [LINK] - cheezz - 1:47am on 09/09/09
- Cherry Sherbert, from Traca [LINK] - cheezz - 1:48am on 09/09/09
- Blueberry Sherbert, from Traca [LINK] - cheezz - 1:48am on 09/09/09
- Aint Tee's Luscious Lemon Ice Cream, from Traca [LINK] - cheezz - 1:50am on 09/09/09
- Caramel Chocolate Pecan Ice Cream from: Barefoot Contessa (posted by Ann) [LINK] - cheezz - 1:51am on 09/09/09
- Malted, Salted Caramel Ice Cream, by Traca [LINK] - cheezz - 1:54am on 09/09/09
- Peanut Butter Swirl Ice Cream, by Traca [LINK] - cheezz - 1:55am on 09/09/09
- Grandmother’s Lemon Custard Ice Cream by Richard Sax [LINK] - Ann - 9:02am on 09/09/09
- Rec: Roasted Banana Ice Cream - MoNJ - 1:12pm on 09/09/09
- Chez Panisse Desserts: Cinnamon Apple Ice Cream [LINK] - Ann - 10:49pm on 09/09/09
- Rec: Dulce de Leche Ice Cream [LINK] - Pat-NoCal - 4:58am on 09/10/09
- Coffee Granita with Sambuca Cream and Chocolate Shavings [LINK] - Shaun in TO - 3:03pm on 09/10/09
- Calvados Sorbet [LINK] - Shaun in TO - 3:05pm on 09/10/09
- Strawberry Sorbet from the River Café [LINK] - Shaun in TO - 3:08pm on 09/10/09
- Coconut Ice Cream - Shaun in TO - 3:09pm on 09/10/09
- Strawberry Mascarpone Ice Cream - MariaDNoCA - 8:39am on 09/11/09
- Chocolate-Peanut Butter Ice Cream - Traca - 10:54pm on 09/12/09