Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Malted, Salted Caramel Ice Cream, by Traca
Joined: Jul 17, 2006
Posted to Thread #16110 at 1:54 am on Sep 9, 2009
Okay, this my attempt at writing up an original recipe. Basically I made a caramel with a portion of the sugar, then proceeded as a normal custard-based ice cream.
Co-workers said it tasted like malted creme brulee. They've tried more than a dozen of my ice creams, and this was voted a favorite.
Malted, Salted Caramel Ice Cream
3/4 cup sugar, divided
1 cup half-and-half
2 cups heavy cream
6 large egg yolks, whisked
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
2/3 cup malted powder (Carnation)
Warm the half-and-half and cream in a medium sauce pan.
In a separate, tall sided pot, melt 1/2 cup sugar until it turns liquid and deepens into a medium-dark caramel color. Pour the warmed dairy over the caramel (be careful as the introduction of dairy to caramel will cause it will bubble and sputter and rise towards the top of the pot.) As the bubbles settle, some of the caramel may harden. Continue to stir over medium heat until all the caramel melts back into the dairy.
Add the salt and remaining 1/4 cup of sugar. Slowly pour the whisked egg yolks into the liquid, stirring constantly.
Stir the mixture over medium heat until it coats the back of a spatula.
Pour the custard through a strainer, then whisk in the vanilla and malted milk powder. Stir until cool over an ice bath. Chill mixture thoroughly in the refrigerator, then freeze in your ice cream maker.
Inside me lives a skinny woman crying to get out, but I can usually shut her up with cookies!
Other messages in this thread:
- 16110. Ice cream thread? Have we done one of those yet? Can we start with Maria's Malted Milk ice cream? [NT] - cheezz - 7:11pm on 09/07/09 (36)
- 16110. Pistachio-Cardamom Ice Cream - Traca - 10:57pm on 09/12/09 (5)
- Here's my contribution, recipe for Jack Daniel's Chocolate Ice Cream - Steve2 in LA - 1:34am on 09/08/09
- The Depths of Chocolate Ice Cream Not T&T, but adapted recipe of Perfect Scoop by David Lebovitz [LINK] - Ann - 10:57am on 09/15/09
- This is my favorite chocolate ice cream: Chocolate Ganache Ice Cream: - Meryl - 4:20pm on 09/08/09
- From David Lebovitz: Vietnamese Coffee Ice Cream (thanks, Traca): - Meryl - 4:22pm on 09/08/09
- The best Chocolate Gelato: [LINK] - Meryl - 4:24pm on 09/08/09
- David Levoitz's Malted Milk Ice Cream [LINK] - cheezz - 1:04am on 09/09/09
- Decadent Guava Lime Cheesecake Ice Cream [LINK] - cheezz - 1:05am on 09/09/09
- Gianduja Gelato (thanks, Traca!) [LINK] - cheezz - 1:11am on 09/09/09
- Lemon Buttermilk Sherbert from Traca [LINK] - cheezz - 1:12am on 09/09/09
- Chunky Ginger Ice Cream [LINK] - cheezz - 1:13am on 09/09/09
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Ice Cream (Traca) - cheezz - 1:15am on 09/09/09
- Alice Medrich's Bittersweet Chocolate Ice Cream [LINK] - cheezz - 1:43am on 09/09/09
- Pineapple Sorbet from Michael "in Sarasota" [LINK] - cheezz - 1:44am on 09/09/09
- Bing Cherry, Chocolate Chip, Walnut Ice Cream from Richard in Cincy [LINK] - cheezz - 1:47am on 09/09/09
- Rum Ice Cream from Traca [LINK] - cheezz - 1:47am on 09/09/09
- Cherry Sherbert, from Traca [LINK] - cheezz - 1:48am on 09/09/09
- Blueberry Sherbert, from Traca [LINK] - cheezz - 1:48am on 09/09/09
- Aint Tee's Luscious Lemon Ice Cream, from Traca [LINK] - cheezz - 1:50am on 09/09/09
- Caramel Chocolate Pecan Ice Cream from: Barefoot Contessa (posted by Ann) [LINK] - cheezz - 1:51am on 09/09/09
- Malted, Salted Caramel Ice Cream, by Traca [LINK] - cheezz - 1:54am on 09/09/09
- Peanut Butter Swirl Ice Cream, by Traca [LINK] - cheezz - 1:55am on 09/09/09
- Grandmother [LINK] - Ann - 9:02am on 09/09/09
- Rec: Roasted Banana Ice Cream - MoNJ - 1:12pm on 09/09/09
- Chez Panisse Desserts: Cinnamon Apple Ice Cream [LINK] - Ann - 10:49pm on 09/09/09
- Rec: Dulce de Leche Ice Cream [LINK] - Pat-NoCal - 4:58am on 09/10/09
- Coffee Granita with Sambuca Cream and Chocolate Shavings [LINK] - Shaun in TO - 3:03pm on 09/10/09
- Calvados Sorbet [LINK] - Shaun in TO - 3:05pm on 09/10/09
- Strawberry Sorbet from the River Caf [LINK] - Shaun in TO - 3:08pm on 09/10/09
- Coconut Ice Cream - Shaun in TO - 3:09pm on 09/10/09
- Strawberry Mascarpone Ice Cream - MariaDNoCA - 8:39am on 09/11/09
- Chocolate-Peanut Butter Ice Cream - Traca - 10:54pm on 09/12/09