Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Peanut Butter Swirl Ice Cream, by Traca
Joined: Jul 17, 2006
Posted to Thread #16110 at 1:55 am on Sep 9, 2009
I'm going to a potluck at chez Gluten-Free Girl and couldn't figure out what to make. Ice cream's gluten-free! So I tried a couple new recipes -- David Lebovitz's Chocolate Sorbet with Coconut Milk and this one from Saveur. This is my favorite of the two, which surprises me because I'm not even a big fan of peanut butter. But I'll be making this one again for sure!
I used honey roasted chopped peanuts, added a pinch or two of Kosher salt, and used Trder Joe's roasted, salted natural peanut butter. Would do all the above again.
Peanut Butter Swirl Ice Cream
MAKES ABOUT 1 QUART
This recipe is based on one in Bruce Weinstein's The Ice Cream Book (William Morrow and Company, 1999).
1 cup milk
3⁄4 cup sugar
1 cup smooth natural peanut butter
1 1⁄2 cups heavy cream
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup salted, roasted, shelled peanuts, chopped
1. Heat milk in a small saucepan over medium heat until just hot. Meanwhile, beat sugar and eggs together in a medium bowl until thick and pale yellow.
2. Gradually whisk hot milk into egg mixture in bowl, then pour milk–egg mixture into saucepan. Return saucepan to medium-low heat and cook custard, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until it is thick enough to coat the back of the spoon, about 5 minutes. Remove saucepan from heat and stir in 1⁄2 cup of the peanut butter. Strain custard into a large bowl, let cool briefly, stirring often, then stir in cream and vanilla. Cover and refrigerate until cold, 6–8 hours.
3. Process mixture in an ice cream maker according to manufacturer's directions, adding 1⁄2 cup of the chopped nuts to the ice cream 30 seconds before it has finished churning.
Transfer to a bowl, quickly swirl in remaining 1⁄2 cup peanut butter, cover, and freeze until hard. Serve ice cream sprinkled with the remaining 1⁄2 cup nuts.
This recipe was first published in Saveur in Issue #86
Inside me lives a skinny woman crying to get out, but I can usually shut her up with cookies!
Other messages in this thread:
- 16110. Ice cream thread? Have we done one of those yet? Can we start with Maria's Malted Milk ice cream? [NT] - cheezz - 7:11pm on 09/07/09 (36)
- 16110. Pistachio-Cardamom Ice Cream - Traca - 10:57pm on 09/12/09 (5)
- Here's my contribution, recipe for Jack Daniel's Chocolate Ice Cream - Steve2 in LA - 1:34am on 09/08/09
- The Depths of Chocolate Ice Cream Not T&T, but adapted recipe of Perfect Scoop by David Lebovitz [LINK] - Ann - 10:57am on 09/15/09
- This is my favorite chocolate ice cream: Chocolate Ganache Ice Cream: - Meryl - 4:20pm on 09/08/09
- From David Lebovitz: Vietnamese Coffee Ice Cream (thanks, Traca): - Meryl - 4:22pm on 09/08/09
- The best Chocolate Gelato: [LINK] - Meryl - 4:24pm on 09/08/09
- David Levoitz's Malted Milk Ice Cream [LINK] - cheezz - 1:04am on 09/09/09
- Decadent Guava Lime Cheesecake Ice Cream [LINK] - cheezz - 1:05am on 09/09/09
- Gianduja Gelato (thanks, Traca!) [LINK] - cheezz - 1:11am on 09/09/09
- Lemon Buttermilk Sherbert from Traca [LINK] - cheezz - 1:12am on 09/09/09
- Chunky Ginger Ice Cream [LINK] - cheezz - 1:13am on 09/09/09
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Ice Cream (Traca) - cheezz - 1:15am on 09/09/09
- Alice Medrich's Bittersweet Chocolate Ice Cream [LINK] - cheezz - 1:43am on 09/09/09
- Pineapple Sorbet from Michael "in Sarasota" [LINK] - cheezz - 1:44am on 09/09/09
- Bing Cherry, Chocolate Chip, Walnut Ice Cream from Richard in Cincy [LINK] - cheezz - 1:47am on 09/09/09
- Rum Ice Cream from Traca [LINK] - cheezz - 1:47am on 09/09/09
- Cherry Sherbert, from Traca [LINK] - cheezz - 1:48am on 09/09/09
- Blueberry Sherbert, from Traca [LINK] - cheezz - 1:48am on 09/09/09
- Aint Tee's Luscious Lemon Ice Cream, from Traca [LINK] - cheezz - 1:50am on 09/09/09
- Caramel Chocolate Pecan Ice Cream from: Barefoot Contessa (posted by Ann) [LINK] - cheezz - 1:51am on 09/09/09
- Malted, Salted Caramel Ice Cream, by Traca [LINK] - cheezz - 1:54am on 09/09/09
- Peanut Butter Swirl Ice Cream, by Traca [LINK] - cheezz - 1:55am on 09/09/09
- Grandmother [LINK] - Ann - 9:02am on 09/09/09
- Rec: Roasted Banana Ice Cream - MoNJ - 1:12pm on 09/09/09
- Chez Panisse Desserts: Cinnamon Apple Ice Cream [LINK] - Ann - 10:49pm on 09/09/09
- Rec: Dulce de Leche Ice Cream [LINK] - Pat-NoCal - 4:58am on 09/10/09
- Coffee Granita with Sambuca Cream and Chocolate Shavings [LINK] - Shaun in TO - 3:03pm on 09/10/09
- Calvados Sorbet [LINK] - Shaun in TO - 3:05pm on 09/10/09
- Strawberry Sorbet from the River Caf [LINK] - Shaun in TO - 3:08pm on 09/10/09
- Coconut Ice Cream - Shaun in TO - 3:09pm on 09/10/09
- Strawberry Mascarpone Ice Cream - MariaDNoCA - 8:39am on 09/11/09
- Chocolate-Peanut Butter Ice Cream - Traca - 10:54pm on 09/12/09