Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Chez Panisse Desserts: Cinnamon Apple Ice Cream
Joined: Feb 18, 2006
Posted to Thread #16110 at 10:49 pm on Sep 9, 2009
Fall is coming and I love Northern Spy apples for pie baking. I'm going to have to try this.
Chez Panisse Desserts: Cinnamon Apple Ice Cream
"Tastes like apple pie!"
“That's what everyone at my house thought about this tasty ice cream from Chez Panisse Desserts. It's a nice dessert all by itself, and would also make an excellent partner to an apple pie or tart.
Lindsey Shere, never one to give a lot of detailed instructions, tells the reader to cook the apples until soft and then "whisk into a slightly chunky apple purée." I gave this a try, but the whisk is really not the best tool for the job. I got a fairly smooth mixture by using a potato masher, but ultimately I decided that I'd probably prefer the ice cream to be smooth, so I put the apples in a blender until they were completely smooth. If you'd like discrete apple chunks in your ice cream, use a mashing tool. But if you're like me and prefer your ice cream to be smooth, process the fruit into a uniform purée.
Shere recommends Gravenstein or McIntosh apples; I used Golden Delicious with excellent results. They're not my favorite apples for eating out of hand, but when cooked, they've got a concentrated, pure apple flavor.”
Prep Time: 20 minutes, plus about 2 hours to chill
Cook Time: about 30 minutes
Yield: 1 generous quart
1 1/2 pounds apples
3 Tbsp water
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
3/4 cup plus 1 Tbsp sugar
1 2/3 cups whipping cream (not heavy cream)
3 egg yolks
Vanilla extract and calvados (optional), to taste
Peel, quarter, and core the apples. Slice thin into a non-reactive saucepan and add the water and cinnamon. Cover and cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until very soft, about 15 minutes. Mash with a potato masher or purée in a blender or food processor, then measure out 1 2/3 cups and stir the sugar into it (if you've got extra apple purée, reserve it for another use).
Heat the cream over medium heat until very warm. Whisk the egg yolks in a medium bowl, then slowly add about 1/2 cup of the hot cream, stirring constantly. Return the egg mixture to the pan and cook, stirring constantly, until the custard coats the spoon, about 3 minutes. Strain into a container and stir in the apple purée. Refrigerate until cold, about 2 hours. Taste the mixture and flavor with a few drops of vanilla extract, and a few drops of calvados, if using. Freeze according to your ice cream maker's instructions.
Other messages in this thread:
- 16110. Pistachio-Cardamom Ice Cream - Traca - 10:57pm on 09/12/09 (5)
- 16110. Ice cream thread? Have we done one of those yet? Can we start with Maria's Malted Milk ice cream? [NT] - cheezz - 7:11pm on 09/07/09 (36)
- Here's my contribution, recipe for Jack Daniel's Chocolate Ice Cream - Steve2 in LA - 1:34am on 09/08/09
- The Depths of Chocolate Ice Cream Not T&T, but adapted recipe of Perfect Scoop by David Lebovitz [LINK] - Ann - 10:57am on 09/15/09
- This is my favorite chocolate ice cream: Chocolate Ganache Ice Cream: - Meryl - 4:20pm on 09/08/09
- From David Lebovitz: Vietnamese Coffee Ice Cream (thanks, Traca): - Meryl - 4:22pm on 09/08/09
- The best Chocolate Gelato: [LINK] - Meryl - 4:24pm on 09/08/09
- David Levoitz's Malted Milk Ice Cream [LINK] - cheezz - 1:04am on 09/09/09
- Decadent Guava Lime Cheesecake Ice Cream [LINK] - cheezz - 1:05am on 09/09/09
- Gianduja Gelato (thanks, Traca!) [LINK] - cheezz - 1:11am on 09/09/09
- Lemon Buttermilk Sherbert from Traca [LINK] - cheezz - 1:12am on 09/09/09
- Chunky Ginger Ice Cream [LINK] - cheezz - 1:13am on 09/09/09
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Ice Cream (Traca) - cheezz - 1:15am on 09/09/09
- Alice Medrich's Bittersweet Chocolate Ice Cream [LINK] - cheezz - 1:43am on 09/09/09
- Pineapple Sorbet from Michael "in Sarasota" [LINK] - cheezz - 1:44am on 09/09/09
- Bing Cherry, Chocolate Chip, Walnut Ice Cream from Richard in Cincy [LINK] - cheezz - 1:47am on 09/09/09
- Rum Ice Cream from Traca [LINK] - cheezz - 1:47am on 09/09/09
- Cherry Sherbert, from Traca [LINK] - cheezz - 1:48am on 09/09/09
- Blueberry Sherbert, from Traca [LINK] - cheezz - 1:48am on 09/09/09
- Aint Tee's Luscious Lemon Ice Cream, from Traca [LINK] - cheezz - 1:50am on 09/09/09
- Caramel Chocolate Pecan Ice Cream from: Barefoot Contessa (posted by Ann) [LINK] - cheezz - 1:51am on 09/09/09
- Malted, Salted Caramel Ice Cream, by Traca [LINK] - cheezz - 1:54am on 09/09/09
- Peanut Butter Swirl Ice Cream, by Traca [LINK] - cheezz - 1:55am on 09/09/09
- Grandmother’s Lemon Custard Ice Cream by Richard Sax [LINK] - Ann - 9:02am on 09/09/09
- Rec: Roasted Banana Ice Cream - MoNJ - 1:12pm on 09/09/09
- Chez Panisse Desserts: Cinnamon Apple Ice Cream [LINK] - Ann - 10:49pm on 09/09/09
- Rec: Dulce de Leche Ice Cream [LINK] - Pat-NoCal - 4:58am on 09/10/09
- Coffee Granita with Sambuca Cream and Chocolate Shavings [LINK] - Shaun in TO - 3:03pm on 09/10/09
- Calvados Sorbet [LINK] - Shaun in TO - 3:05pm on 09/10/09
- Strawberry Sorbet from the River Café [LINK] - Shaun in TO - 3:08pm on 09/10/09
- Coconut Ice Cream - Shaun in TO - 3:09pm on 09/10/09
- Strawberry Mascarpone Ice Cream - MariaDNoCA - 8:39am on 09/11/09
- Chocolate-Peanut Butter Ice Cream - Traca - 10:54pm on 09/12/09