Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
|CathyZ from Kauai||
I too find it in health food stores. Here is a great T&T Coconut Shrimp Recipe if you want it
Joined: Dec 10, 2005
Posted to Thread #16199 at 2:55 am on Sep 16, 2009
You ask how others make Coconut Shrimp- here is how I make it: I've had this recipe for a long time- can't remember where I got it- probably Gourmet or Bon Appetit- or possibly somebody from Gail's Swap a long time ago. Anyway, it is a REALLY good recipe and plenty of coconut stays on the shrimp.
COCONUT BEER-BATTER SHRIMP
The Sauce (Mix and set aside):
3/4 cup orange marmalade
2-1/2T each Dijon mustard and bottled horseradish (not creamy)
About 1-3/4 lbs of the largest fresh or frozen shrimp you can find, shelled (leaving the tail and last joint intact) and cleaned (deveined).
The Cayenne Mixture (Mix these together in a small bowl and set aside):
1 T Cayenne pepper (or chili powder)
2 tsp salt
1-1/2tsp each paprika, pepper and garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp thyme
1 tsp oregano
The Other Stuff:
1-3/4 cup flour
2 large eggs, separated
3/4 cup beer (not dark!)
3 cups coconut, flaked
In a bowl, combine 1-1/4 cup of the flour, 2 tsp of the cayenne mixture, the yolks and beer just to mix. In another bowl, beat the whites until they hold soft peaks. Fold the stuff you just mixed (flour, cayenne, yolks, beer) into the egg whites. Cover and chill for 30 minutes.
In yet another bowl, combine the remaining 1/2 cup flour and 1-1/2 tsp of the remaining cayenne mixture.
Heat the oil (2-3” in pan) to 325°.
Set up the bowls as follows:
1. Cayenne mixture. 2. Flour & cayenne mixture 3. Batter 4. Coconut
Toss the shrimp in the #1 mix. Roll in the #2 mix. Shake off, and dip all but the tail in the #3 mix. Roll in the (#4) coconut and plunge into oil. Cook for about 2 minutes on each side -- don’t overcook! Drain on paper towels and gobble up with the sauce!
Other messages in this thread:
- 16199. Questions about coconut for Coconut Shrimp - Angiebaby - 5:21pm on 09/15/09 (10)
- Hi there...I too would like to know just what...Coconut sauce Recipe - joanietoo - 5:32pm on 09/15/09
- try the natural food section of the grocery store. look for "dessicated(sp)" coconut. I have a pkg - AngAk - 5:43pm on 09/15/09
- Or a natural/organic food store. The one closest to me won't sell sweetened coconut because of the - Shaun in TO - 7:44pm on 09/15/09
- I've been successful in finding unsweetened in oriental grocery stores as well as health food stores [NT] - MoNJ - 9:27pm on 09/15/09
- If you have a Whole Foods Market store in your area you can - rosie - 9:42pm on 09/15/09
- Trader Joes, any Indian grocery, most health food stores [NT] - cheezz - 2:22am on 09/16/09
- I too find it in health food stores. Here is a great T&T Coconut Shrimp Recipe if you want it - CathyZ from Kauai - 2:55am on 09/16/09
- I want this for breakfast!! boy does this sound good. thanks [NT] - AngAk - 6:40pm on 09/16/09
- Oh MY! Here I thought I was perfectly satisfied with my Coconut Shrimp - orchid - 7:27pm on 09/16/09
- You are welcome- hope you get as hooked on it as I am [NT] - CathyZ from Kauai - 1:13am on 09/17/09