Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Guava Pastelillos - Guava Cheese Turnovers
Joined: Feb 25, 2006
Posted to Thread #16133 at 7:54 pm on Sep 17, 2009
In some Cuban cafes in Tampa they just give you a big chunk of cream cheese with a chunk of sweet guava paste piled on....whoa, what a 'dessert'.
Guava Cheese Turnovers (Guava Pastelillos)
1 (1-pound) package frozen puff pastry, thawed
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, cut into 8 equal pieces
8 (1 by 1-inch) squares guava paste (about 4 ounces)
1 egg, beaten with 1 teaspoon water
1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
1 teaspoon milk
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Sprinkle the sugar on your work surface to prevent the dough from sticking.
Roll out each sheet of puff pastry to an 8 by 8-inch square.
Using a pizza cutter or sharp knife, cut each sheet into 4 squares.
Make the turnovers:
Set a pastry square in front of you with 1 of the corners pointing toward you. Place 1 piece of cream cheese diagonally over the center
of the bottom of the square.
Top with a piece of guava paste.
Brush the edges of the square with beaten egg. Fold the upper half of the square over the
filling to make a neat triangle. Crimp the edges with a fork.
Repeat with the remaining turnovers, placing them on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet
as you go.
Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown and puffy.
While the turnovers are baking, mix the confectioners' sugar with the milk
and vanilla, stirring to dissolve any lumps.
Cool the turnovers on a rack for 10 to 15 minutes, then drizzle the glaze
Serve warm or at room temperature.
shared by Ann-Fruits and Veg
Other messages in this thread:
- 16133. I love good Cuban food. I mean I really love good Cuban food. I - orchid - 7:29pm on 09/09/09 (46)
- Cuban Roast Pork [LINK] - orchid - 7:31pm on 09/09/09
- Cuban Black Beans - orchid - 7:32pm on 09/09/09
- Oh, do these sound tasty! [NT] - AngAk1 - 8:18pm on 09/29/18
- This recipe for the pork looks amazing... my question is which is more traditional - suz - 9:22pm on 09/09/09
- It's really shredded chunks for an entree. It's important that it is tender - orchid - 10:26pm on 09/09/09
- Thank you, can't wait to make this. [NT] - suz - 11:24pm on 09/09/09
- I love Cuban food too, else why would I live where I do. :) I can tell you how to cook those - Marsha tbay - 8:12pm on 09/09/09
- Oops, I forgot to add the plantains in the menu. I'll go edit it cause it's - orchid - 8:43pm on 09/09/09
- Orchid, sprinkle both sides with cinnamon as you are cooking them. It adds to their crustiness. - Marsha tbay - 9:27pm on 09/09/09
- Humm...I'll give it a try. Does the cinnamon flavor come through? I'm not - orchid - 10:29pm on 09/09/09
- A little orange juice to the covered pan keeps them from sticking. I like the cinnamon too! - PatBastrop - 3:49am on 09/10/09
- Well, as delicious as that sounds, it's not the true Cuban way they are - orchid - 12:26pm on 09/10/09
- I've never thought about tasting cinnamon because I like.. My husb. says he notices it just a bit. - Marsha tbay - 1:22pm on 09/10/09
- That recipe is not in any of my Cuban or Spanish cookbooks. [NT] - Marsha tbay - 1:29pm on 09/10/09
- These recipes look delicious... - woody - 8:40pm on 09/09/09
- Yes, if you don't mind, Does you cookbook have a recipe for the - orchid - 8:53pm on 09/09/09
- Let me look when I get home tonight. I wish i had asked the owner - woody - 9:10pm on 09/09/09
- Wow, woody... - orchid - 9:15pm on 09/09/09
- OMG, I was there Friday..... - woody - 9:26pm on 09/09/09
- I see a "meet up" in the near future. fun! [NT] - AngAk - 10:13pm on 09/09/09
- So funny, I didn't realize anyone was near me. I'm thinkin a meet up - orchid - 10:13pm on 09/09/09
- I do a visit to Sawgrass everytime I am in FL...so that will be on the cards too. [NT] - joanietoo - 10:42pm on 09/09/09
- Love Sawgrass, I will be in Fl soon, but will be busy going back and forth between family.. - suz - 11:27pm on 09/09/09
- I hate Sawgrass...LOL And I know I'm the only one saying that but I detest - orchid - 11:40pm on 09/09/09
- Oh thank goodness....I mapquest Sawgrass and told joanie it was near JACKSONVILLE! 4.5 hours drive. [NT] - MarilynFL - 12:50am on 09/10/09
- I'm with you I detest malls, I just focus on the stores I want to shop in... - suz - 12:12pm on 09/10/09
- Yep, that's me! [NT] - orchid - 12:29pm on 09/10/09
- Me too, park, get in , get out. We'll have to get together!!! [NT] - woody - 12:52pm on 09/10/09
- Me 3...or is it 4 by now? I actually hyperventated at a mall once during Christmas. [NT] - MarilynFL - 3:57pm on 09/10/09
- Oh, yes there are malls in NYC! I was a little horrified near Penn Station once when I wandered into - PatBastrop - 3:49pm on 09/10/09
- Nothing in NYC compares to a full scale suburban Mall! - suz - 7:06pm on 09/10/09
- Mall of America!!! Has an indoor amusement park with roller coaster and log flume. [NT] - Michael in Sarasota - 8:20pm on 09/10/09
- Now that's what I call a Mall!!!! [NT] - suz - 9:05pm on 09/10/09
- I wasn't looking for a mall -- just get me over to Takashimaya!! [NT] - PatBastrop - 12:17am on 09/11/09
- 42nd Street has turned into one big strip mall... a Disney sponsored one... - Sandra in New York - 1:09am on 09/11/09
- PLEASE explain to me why anyone would go to an Olive Garden in New York? [NT] - Melissa Dallas - 1:57am on 09/11/09
- or Red Lobster or Hooters, or any of the myriad chains that now invade Times Square... - Sandra in New York - 2:38am on 09/11/09
- You don't want to meet at Red Lobster for a seafood lunch??!! [NT] - suz - 12:24pm on 09/11/09
- suz, I think we can be a bit more inventive...! [NT] - Sandra in New York - 3:07pm on 09/11/09
- They think this is good Italian food? [NT] - suz - 12:15pm on 09/11/09
- Not to mention that Broadway is closed to traffic and turned Times Square into a pedestrian mall. [NT] - PatBastrop - 2:40am on 09/11/09
- Oh don't even get me started on that... - Sandra in New York - 4:04am on 09/11/09
- See what happens when you leave! LOL--The place goes to hell--or heck [NT] - charlie - 8:59pm on 09/11/09
- That's it charlie... still we'll stay... for now... [NT] - Sandra in New York - 5:09pm on 09/12/09
- Guava Pastelillos - Guava Cheese Turnovers - Marsha tbay - 7:54pm on 09/17/09
- Whoa...I almost missed this. Thanks Marsha. We used to buy these - orchid - 10:49pm on 09/18/09