Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Spiced chicken breasts with dried apricots
Joined: Dec 19, 2005
Posted to Thread #16337 at 12:02 am on Oct 1, 2009
SPICED CHICKEN BREASTS WITH DRIED APRICOTS
A paste made of ground sesame seeds, almonds, cumin, coriander, and oregano gives both the chicken and the apricots delicious flavor.
A red or white wine with low tannin and plenty of fruit flavor will match the sweet, tangy apricots. For a red, a pinot noir from Oregon would be a good choice; for a white, a pinot blanc from Alsace in France.
3/4 cup dried apricots
1 1/2 cups water
1/2 cup sliced almonds
1/3 cup sesame seeds
2 tablespoons ground cumin
2 tablespoons ground coriander
2 tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoons dried oregano
1/4 cup olive oil
2 tablespoons lemon juice
4 bone-in chicken breasts (about 2 1/4 pounds in all)
1. Heat the oven to 425°. In a small saucepan, combine the apricots and water. Bring to a boil, lower the heat, and then simmer, partially covered, for 10 minutes. Set aside.
2. Toast the almonds and sesame seeds in the oven until just beginning to brown, about 2 minutes. Transfer 1/3 cup of the almonds and 1/4 cup of the sesame seeds to a blender; pulverize with the cumin, coriander, paprika, oregano, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Put the mixture in a small bowl; stir in the oil and lemon juice to make a paste. Stir half of the paste into the apricots and water.
3. Put the chicken breasts in a small roasting pan, skin-side up, and coat with the remaining paste. Pour the apricot mixture around the chicken. Cook in the lower third of the oven until done, 20 to 25 minutes. If the chicken seems to be browning too quickly, cover the pan with aluminum foil the last 10 minutes of cooking.
4. Transfer the chicken to a plate. Spoon the fat from the pan. Serve the chicken topped with the apricots and any pan juices. Sprinkle the remaining almonds and sesame seeds over all.
Steamed rice is an ideal accompaniment. So are roasted potatoes cooked alongside the chicken in a separate pan.
Recipe by Quick From Scratch Chicken - Food & Wine - January 1997
A balanced diet is equal parts of milk and dark chocolate.
Other messages in this thread:
- 16337. What is your favorite recipe for whole bone-in chicken breasts? - LisainLA - 11:47pm on 09/30/09 (21)
- Here are some recipes from my files. Haven't tried them yet. [NT] - Meryl - 12:01am on 10/01/09
- Smoky Caramelized balsamic chicken [LINK] - Meryl - 12:01am on 10/01/09
- Spiced chicken breasts with dried apricots [LINK] - Meryl - 12:02am on 10/01/09
- Indian-spiced chicken with lime and cilantro [LINK] - Meryl - 12:04am on 10/01/09
- This was posted by EvaN: Chicken with banana curry sauce [LINK] - Meryl - 12:06am on 10/01/09
- (((Meryl))) Thanks! [NT] - LisainLA - 12:13am on 10/01/09
- Here's more from Cook's Illustrated/America's test kitchen - recipes are free - you just have to [LINK] - Meryl - 12:15am on 10/01/09
- Charcoal-Grilled Bone-In Chicken Breasts [NT] [LINK] - Meryl - 12:16am on 10/01/09
- Gas-Grilled Bone-In Chicken Breasts [NT] [LINK] - Meryl - 12:16am on 10/01/09
- Soy-ginger glaze [NT] [LINK] - Meryl - 12:17am on 10/01/09
- Chicken Breasts with Sun-Dried Tomato and Garlic Crust - Sylvia - 12:53am on 10/01/09
- Another one to check out: Orange-Honey Glazed Chicken Breasts [NT] [LINK] - Meryl - 2:32am on 10/01/09
- (adapted from Cook's Illustrated) [NT] - Meryl - 2:33am on 10/01/09
- Rec: Szechwan White Cut Chicken with Spicy Peanut Sauce - Pat-NoCal - 5:37am on 10/01/09
- Thank you all - I think I need more chicken! [NT] - LisainLA - 3:14pm on 10/01/09
- Forgot about this one. Rec: Chicken Salad - Pat-NoCal - 3:51pm on 10/07/09
- Toss in a heaping tbl. of TJ's mango chutney and top with crushed peanuts...mmmmm [NT] - cheezz - 11:29pm on 10/07/09
- Really? Will give it a shot. [NT] - Pat-NoCal - 12:13am on 10/08/09
- Been making it for years, with rave reviews :) Trust me.... would I lie?! [NT] - cheezz - 5:43am on 10/09/09