Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Coconut sauce...a lot of this kind of cooking goes by feel....hence the lessons....
Joined: Apr 17, 2006
Posted to Thread #16349 at 12:50 pm on Oct 2, 2009
when ever I get the chance I try to sit in other peoples cooking sessions, specially if it is in a new part of the world, one learns so much more by watching than by following a recipe.
Coconut sauce for Chicken, Sweet Potato Soufflé etc
2 TBL dried coconut powder (heaped)
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup cream
1 TBL spoon Rum
1 minced garlic clove (large)
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp hot pepper sauce (not Tabasco)
1 seasoning pepper, deseeded and cut in half
Meld the powder with the water
Add rest of ingredients and cook back
till thickened a bit.
Taste and add a little more rum, and a little more hot sauce depending on how hot and rum-my you want it.
I use dark Mount Gay but rums vary so much in flavour as do hot sauces.....at the moment I am trying out different bottled sauces and I rather prefer adding a Thai style hot sweet chili sauce Be very careful as to what brand hot sauce you use, dont over power the flavour of the coconut.
I also use a can of coconut milk and NO cream....the sauce is good but not as great as the powdered sauce.
Wine does not make you fat, it makes you lean/against walls, tables, chairs, floors and ugly people.
Other messages in this thread:
- 16349. Joanietoo, I went to the Caribbean market today and - DawnNYS - 2:13am on 10/02/09 (16)
- Lol........there is little marked / named at the markets here. I love the... - joanietoo - 3:16am on 10/02/09
- The jerk sauce I bought was imported from the Caribbean, the jar said. It was the - DawnNYS - 4:10am on 10/02/09
- I shouldn't have made it sound like... - joanietoo - 12:41pm on 10/02/09
- Thanks Joanie. I went back and looked and the jerk sauce brand - DawnNYS - 3:53pm on 10/03/09
- Coconut sauce...a lot of this kind of cooking goes by feel....hence the lessons.... - joanietoo - 12:50pm on 10/02/09
- joanie - do you have any more recipes using the powdered coconut? I have a bagful to use! [NT] - cheezz - 5:05am on 10/03/09
- Chezz, you can basically use it in any dish requiring coconut milk. - joanietoo - 12:38pm on 10/03/09
- I've never seen the block, but then I haven't looked for it. Love the canned milk! [NT] - cheezz - 3:51pm on 10/03/09
- Turnaround Corn - joanietoo - 1:02pm on 10/02/09
- 1 spring onion - beaten?? And how does one beat a spring onion?! heehee [NT] - cheezz - 5:07am on 10/03/09
- Bad onion! Bad! but you know what they say, you can't keep a good onion down... [NT] - Heather_in_SF - 5:51am on 10/03/09
- LOL, I too thought this very odd....I watched my... - joanietoo - 12:36pm on 10/03/09
- joanie, you are a stitch! :) [NT] - PatBastrop - 2:19pm on 10/03/09
- I guess it must be to release all the flavor quickly... poor little thing [NT] - cheezz - 3:52pm on 10/03/09
- I think that's illegal here ;o) [NT] - DawnNYS - 3:55pm on 10/03/09
- Thanks for the polenta recipe. I'll make it tomorrow. [NT] - DawnNYS - 3:56pm on 10/03/09