Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Joined: Apr 17, 2006
Posted to Thread #16349 at 1:02 pm on Oct 2, 2009
So named because the cook turns the mixture over and over with the wooden spoon
1 cup corn meal
1 cup coconut milk (I use the whole tin)
1 ½ cups water
½ chicken stock cube (I use almost a whole one)
1 spring onion beaten (Two if small and slice them finely)
1 clove garlic minced
1 seasoning pepper whole (I slice this in two)
1 sprig thyme (big sprig)
Salt to taste
1 oz butter (I use double that)
Bring the milk and all seasoning ingredients to a fast simmer
Add cornmeal all at once and “turn” vigorously.
Leave on low heat for 5 mins (not sure this is really necessary)
Now the local corn meal cooks into lumps and one needs to really turn the stuff. Doesn't seem to amtter to the locals........I don’t like to add it at once but rather pour it in slowly, stirring all the time and try to get a really unlumpy mixture.
I then plate it in ring molds with the coconut sauce around it and a sprig of fresh dhania as garnish.
I love this way of cooking polenta. Oh yum!!!!!
Wine does not make you fat, it makes you lean/against walls, tables, chairs, floors and ugly people.
Other messages in this thread:
- 16349. Joanietoo, I went to the Caribbean market today and - DawnNYS - 2:13am on 10/02/09 (16)
- Lol........there is little marked / named at the markets here. I love the... - joanietoo - 3:16am on 10/02/09
- The jerk sauce I bought was imported from the Caribbean, the jar said. It was the - DawnNYS - 4:10am on 10/02/09
- I shouldn't have made it sound like... - joanietoo - 12:41pm on 10/02/09
- Thanks Joanie. I went back and looked and the jerk sauce brand - DawnNYS - 3:53pm on 10/03/09
- Coconut sauce...a lot of this kind of cooking goes by feel....hence the lessons.... - joanietoo - 12:50pm on 10/02/09
- joanie - do you have any more recipes using the powdered coconut? I have a bagful to use! [NT] - cheezz - 5:05am on 10/03/09
- Chezz, you can basically use it in any dish requiring coconut milk. - joanietoo - 12:38pm on 10/03/09
- I've never seen the block, but then I haven't looked for it. Love the canned milk! [NT] - cheezz - 3:51pm on 10/03/09
- Turnaround Corn - joanietoo - 1:02pm on 10/02/09
- 1 spring onion - beaten?? And how does one beat a spring onion?! heehee [NT] - cheezz - 5:07am on 10/03/09
- Bad onion! Bad! but you know what they say, you can't keep a good onion down... [NT] - Heather_in_SF - 5:51am on 10/03/09
- LOL, I too thought this very odd....I watched my... - joanietoo - 12:36pm on 10/03/09
- joanie, you are a stitch! :) [NT] - PatBastrop - 2:19pm on 10/03/09
- I guess it must be to release all the flavor quickly... poor little thing [NT] - cheezz - 3:52pm on 10/03/09
- I think that's illegal here ;o) [NT] - DawnNYS - 3:55pm on 10/03/09
- Thanks for the polenta recipe. I'll make it tomorrow. [NT] - DawnNYS - 3:56pm on 10/03/09