Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Recipe - Pears in Papillote with Vanilla Sauce
Joined: Dec 10, 2005
Posted to Thread #16359 at 8:15 pm on Oct 2, 2009
Pears in Papillote with Vanilla Sauce
4 medium pears (1 pound total)
1 medium lemon (4 ounces), halved
1/2 cup confectioners' sugar (2 ounces)
2 cups low fat milk
1/2 vanilla bean
3 large egg yolks
1 cup confectioners' sugar (4-1/2 ounces)
Mint leaves and strawberries, for garnish
Preheat oven to 300 Degrees F.
Peel the pears and core them from the bottom end, leaving the stems attached. Rub with the lemon halves to prevent discoloring. Sift the sugar over them and wrap individually in foil, sealing the seams tightly. Bake in the preheated oven until tender, about 20 minutes.
To make the sauce, heat the milk and vanilla bean in a saucepan over moderate heat until just boiling, about 5 minutes. Discard the vanilla bean.
Process the egg yolks and sugar with the metal blade of a food processor until well combined, about 30 seconds, scraping down the work bowl as necessary. With the motor running add 1 cup milk through the feed tube in a steady stream.
Add to the saucepan with the remaining 1 cup milk and cook over low heat, stirring, until the sauce coats the back of the spoon, about 5 minutes.
Remove the pears from the foil and serve them with the sauce, mint and strawberries.
Makes 4 servings.
Recipe Source: The Pleasures of Cooking (A Cuisinart Publication
Vol. X No. 1 - July/August 1987
I was looking for a light, elegant dessert recipe for next week and this is in the #1 slot.
Other messages in this thread:
- 16359. Recipe - Pears in Papillote with Vanilla Sauce - GayR - 8:15pm on 10/02/09 (10)
- Sounds SO good! The only thing I would add ((oh sure, more calories...why not?!)... - cheezz - 5:14am on 10/03/09
- Sounds good cheezz, however, after the large meal I am making wanted just a light dessert. [NT] - GayR - 3:34pm on 10/03/09
- oh what the heck - it's a party... eat dessert FIRST!! *g* [NT] - cheezz - 9:46pm on 10/03/09
- Mmm, this sounds light and luscious. [NT] - Pat-NoCal - 4:16pm on 10/03/09
- Reminds me of this Rec: Maple-Vanilla Roasted Pears and Vanilla Bean Custard Sauce...good schtuff. - Pat-NoCal - 5:07pm on 10/03/09
- Thank you, Pat that recipes sounds absolutely wonderful! [NT] - GayR - 5:08pm on 10/03/09
- It was better than that, even cold. Hubby was supposed to get a whole pear but he'll - Pat-NoCal - 5:14pm on 10/03/09
- ...unless he's a secret lurker? [NT] - MarilynFL - 11:31am on 10/05/09
- yeh, then I would be soooo busted! lol [NT] - Pat-NoCal - 4:11pm on 10/05/09
- ooops, put that post in the wrong spot...I'm fried from working 4 catering gigs this weeknd. ;o) [NT] - Pat-NoCal - 4:13pm on 10/05/09