Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Baking disaster averted!
Joined: Nov 26, 2007
Posted to Thread #16368 at 10:20 pm on Oct 3, 2009
Don't try this at home. So I made the batter for the Norwegian Gold Cake and poured it into a tube pan. I almost used my Bundt pan, but thought, no, the recipe calls for a tube pan so use that. So I poured it in and shoved it into the oven.
About 10 minutes later, I went back into the kitchen to get some food for Liam and smelled something burning. I opened the oven, smoke poured out, and I saw that the batter was leaking out of the bottom of the tube pan and onto the bottom of the oven.
!@#$%^&*, said I.
I grabbed an old jelly roll pan to catch the rest of the batter and pulled everything out. I grabbed my Bundt pan and poured what was left of the batter into that (only a cup or two had spilled, but it looked like a lot more). By that time Liam was screaming for his food, so I turned everything off and went and fed him. Then I put him in his bouncy seat and surveyed the damage.
Luckily, the stuff on the bottom of the oven had baked just enough that I could scrape it up with a spatula. So I did that, and shoved the Bundt pan with the leftover batter BACK into the oven and baked it. I KNEW I wanted to use my Bundt pan!
Turned out wonderful. Next time I'm checking to see that the tube pan is properly assembled!
Other messages in this thread:
- If I go work in my garage, will you bring me some cake and a latte? ;-) - LisainLA - 5:32pm on 10/03/09
- Sure thing! LOL Want some enchiladas too? [NT] - Pat-NoCal - 5:56pm on 10/03/09
- Of course! Actually, I've got a pork shoulder slow roasting right now - - LisainLA - 6:40pm on 10/03/09
- You're on, baby! [NT] - Pat-NoCal - 6:50pm on 10/03/09
- Dad gave me 10 pounds of Hatch green chile. - Amanda_Pennsylvania - 7:57pm on 10/03/09
- C'mon over Amanda! :-D [NT] - LisainLA - 8:43pm on 10/03/09
- If I bring a fig recipe, can I come too? Seriously, do you want a recipe using figs? [NT] - DawnNYS - 1:46am on 10/04/09
- Sure....the more the merrier. [NT] - Pat-NoCal - 3:35pm on 10/04/09
- I'll be right over...just need to repack the diaper bag... :) [NT] - Amanda_Pennsylvania - 3:07am on 10/04/09
- Saturday Six - Amanda_Pennsylvania - 6:34pm on 10/03/09
- Recently tried Cheerios and just love 'em with sliced bananas, and milk of course. [NT] - Pat-NoCal - 6:52pm on 10/03/09
- I like them with sliced peaches... [NT] - Amanda_Pennsylvania - 5:56pm on 10/04/09
- Got any root beer left? Try putting a couple scoops of vanilla ice cream in a glass and pour - Pat-NoCal - 6:53pm on 10/03/09
- Baking disaster averted! - Amanda_Pennsylvania - 10:20pm on 10/03/09
- Amanda, Happy to hear that the cake turned out wonderful considering your almost disaster. [NT] - GayR - 4:07pm on 10/04/09
- My Saturday Six: - Heather_in_SF - 8:01pm on 10/03/09
- Cupcake Camp sounds cute. Take pictures!! My Saturday Six - DawnNYS - 2:02am on 10/04/09
- A Revision..... and a goofy story.... - Heather_in_SF - 8:45am on 10/04/09
- Yay, glad the root beer float helped. Today's chicken should - Pat-NoCal - 3:34pm on 10/04/09
- HAAA!!! I got to the part where you 'hacked up veggies" and my first thought was... - cheezz - 9:12pm on 10/04/09
- Or emailing apparently, I made a bunch of stupid errors in one today, will have to fix that tomorrow - Heather_in_SF - 3:58am on 10/05/09