Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Childhood memories of Gourmet magazine and my father..
Joined: Dec 12, 2008
Posted to Thread #16392 at 2:51 pm on Oct 6, 2009
I am feeling very nostalgic about he folding of Gourmet. I am a true foodie and have been since I was little. I can remember the magazine coming in the mail and beging entranced by the glorious pictures. I also remember how the recipes were written in prose rather than the standard recipe format they switched to later. I thought that was so chic and sophisticated!!!
My father would peruse it and usually select a recipe to make on the weekend. I would know what he was going to cook because the magazine would be on the kitchen counter folded back and the ingredients gradually assembled. Many times it required getting something hard to find such as candied ginger which was no readily available as it is today. What wonderful adventures we had going to out of the way to obscure places like the asian market to get ingredients. What fun!!!
A family favorite and something shared at all family events is an Amaretto cheesecake - made with almost 3 pounds of cream cheese AND whipping cream. I also remember one year that my dad ordered my mother two volumes of recipes from Gourmet. They were bound in burgundy leather and had my mother's name on them!!! They were always kept carefully on the shelf in a protective box
As an adult I have savored it even more. I have never actually had a subscription as my father gave them to me when he was finished with them. Often, many issues were kept, lined up on a shelf below the other cookbooks.
Thank you Gourmet for wonderful memories..
Other messages in this thread:
- 16392. Childhood memories of Gourmet magazine and my father.. - franinvirginia - 2:51pm on 10/06/09 (6)
- aw...that's a wonderful tribute, fran. I hope your Dad can see it whereever he is. [NT] - MarilynFL - 3:01pm on 10/06/09
- I am still a bit shocked.... - SallyBR - 4:44pm on 10/06/09
- A few years ago I stumbled across some issues from the 40's on e-bay. - Nan - 4:51pm on 10/06/09
- A friend who left the country gave me her collection- still have them.. - elaine - 1:47am on 10/08/09
- I agree Sally (nice to see you again) I didn't care for BA and - woody - 4:54pm on 10/06/09
- Nice memories, fran. My parents also subscribed after we came to Canada in 1967. So I grew up - Shaun in TO - 5:28pm on 10/06/09