Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.


Traca, I found my British cookbooks use "almond paste" to cover a cake.

Veteran Member
16566 posts
Joined: Dec 12, 2005


Posted to Thread #16440 at 4:30 pm on Oct 12, 2009

Not sure how you're planning on using it.

In the British recipes, it sounds like a <i>marzipan</i> that they're using, rather than the canned softer almond paste that is used for fillings, etc.

In particular, I'm referencing Peggy Porschen's Pretty Party Cakes. Her wedding cakes are covered with rolled "almond paste" to seal and provide a smooth surface, then <i>that</i> is covered with rolled fondant for the smoothest top surface.

You would need to add powdered sugar to most canned "almond paste" to roll it out.

I bought a 7 lb can of "almond paste" and was told I could just roll it out. But since it was for a test cake and it cost $36, I returned the can unopened. Can't give you any test data on that.

Jesus saves. Buddha recycles.

Other messages in this thread: