Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Loving this recipe -- especially for the holidays: James Beard's Liver Pate
Joined: Jan 11, 2007
Posted to Thread #16905 at 7:38 am on Nov 20, 2009
James Beard’s Liver Pate
From the Lighthouse Breakfast Cookbook, recipes from Heceta Head Lighthouse in Oregon
James Beard lived in Lake Oswego, OR , not far from the Strudel House and visited the restaurant a few times. Mike had a chat with him one day about the elaborate process Carol would go through to make traditional chicken liver pate. After lunch Beard handed Mike a note that had this recipe on it and told him it is just as good and takes a fifth of the time to make. We served this pate for 15 years at the restaurant. It was a favorite on our brunch menu.
6 ounces liverwurst
6 ounces cream cheese
1 teaspoon dry sherry
˝ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
˝ teaspoon dried tarragon
Pinch of fines herbes
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tablespoon whole green peppercorns
In a mixer combine the liverwurst, cream cheese, sherry, Worcestershire sauce, tarragon, fines herbes and garlic: blend well, stopping to scrape down the sides and bottom. When smooth, fold in the peppercorns.
Serve with sliced baguette, butter, Dijon mustard, shaved red onions, and cornichons.
Makes about 1 pound.
Traca’s note: when I made it, I skipped the herbes and peppercorns. Absolutely delicious!
You can't do anything about the length of your life, but you can do
something about its depth. - M
Other messages in this thread:
- 16905. Loving this recipe -- especially for the holidays: James Beard's Liver Pate - Traca - 7:38am on 11/20/09 (9)
- OMG! Can't believe it! What brand did you use, Traca? I HAVE to try this recipe! [NT] - CynUpstateNY - 9:02am on 11/20/09
- I have no idea what brand I used. Store I went to only sold one variety. - Traca - 12:09am on 11/21/09
- "See, Porkie...what did I tell you! Pâté is where liverwursts go when they've been good." [NT] - MarilynFL - 12:31pm on 11/20/09
- I love this recipe. My sister has made a very similar version for years - Dawn_MO - 1:20pm on 11/20/09
- another wonderful pâté... we call it liver ice cream. - rvb - 2:00pm on 11/20/09
- Oooh, this looks good too. I'm a big fan of curry. Thanks RVB. [NT] - Traca - 12:10am on 11/21/09
- rvb, I love this recipe, we make it every Christmas now (((smooches))) - Heather_in_SF - 1:35am on 11/21/09
- Forgive my ignorance. Would these recipes need to sit, refrigerated, in order to... - Michael in Phoenix - 2:07pm on 11/20/09
- hi michael: if i have any left over and store it in the refrigerator... - rvb - 5:13pm on 11/20/09