Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
I have made them the night before with no problem....
Joined: Jul 17, 2006
Posted to Thread #16938 at 2:26 am on Nov 23, 2009
Traditonaly it's the most wimpy white bread you can find, but do what you like most. Once you read through the recipe, I'm sure you can see where you can sneak in some arugula... between the cream cheese and cucumber maybe? I wouldn't add dill to these - they have a lot of flavor already.
from Rhetta Walters, Charleston, SC, changed slightly by Jane :)
Makes about 48 sandwiches (2” round)
1 medium cucumber (English or ‘burpless’ are best as they have few seeds)
8 oz. package cream cheese, at room temperature
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. onion salt
dash Worcestershire Sauce
1 loaf bread, sliced (‘wimpy’ white bread or a seedless rye works well)
Garnish: thinly sliced pimento-stuff green olives, the pimento itself, or paprika
Score the cucumber lengthwise with a fork (decorative look), and slice very thin; put in ziploc bag and set aside. Combine cream cheese, mayonnaise, garlic powder, onion salt, Worcestershire, until blended well. Cut bread out into shapes desired (usually rounds or squares slightly larger than the diameter of the cucumber), making sure crust is not included. (I can usually get 3 rounds out of a slice of bread). Lightly spread cream cheese mixture on each round, then top with a cucumber slice [note: I actually find it easier to spread the whole slice first with the filling, THEN cut the shapes out). These can be layered in a shallow container, with waxed paper between layers, for a couple of hours (I've done them the night before). Before serving, top each cucumber sandwich with a slice of olive, pimento or paprika.
Inside me lives a skinny woman crying to get out, but I can usually shut her up with cookies!
Other messages in this thread:
- 16938. ISO Cheezz or any other teatime experts: How do I make a cucumber sandwich? - Joe - 2:10am on 11/23/09 (4)
- I have made them the night before with no problem.... - cheezz - 2:26am on 11/23/09
- I know you didn't ask, Joe but these veggie sandwiches posted by Gretchen are really excellent! [LINK] - CynUpstateNY - 1:51pm on 11/23/09
- Thanks for this reminder Cyn! We just might add it to our Christmas tea :) [NT] - cheezz - 6:47pm on 11/23/09
- My pleasure, Jane! [NT] - CynUpstateNY - 9:08am on 11/24/09