Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
|Music City Missy||
I should have added - then proceed like CathyZ recommended
Joined: Dec 9, 2005
Posted to Thread #17280 at 3:30 am on Dec 26, 2009
I didn't know how thin your base was and sometimes when roasting with vegetables it's not very thin so thinning it down will help pull the heavier solids away from the fat that floats to the top.
We have strained fat through 'coffee' filters at school before when out of oil filters. It's slow and helps if the fat is pretty hot so that its thin. And I have also done it through cheese cloth. Strain it several times.
It's still going to have some flavors from the roasting vegetables and probably a little more since you probably cooked the duck at a higher temp than you would normally use to render duck fat but it's still going to be better than the best store bought fat to use for duck confit or pomme frites.
Other messages in this thread:
- 17280. Help needed for salvaging duck fat. I know, I know.... Am cooking a duck now and [LINK] - FloriSandy - 12:47am on 12/26/09 (19)
- I don't think you can really successfully do it- but here is an idea - CathyZ from Kauai - 1:11am on 12/26/09
- I wonder if adding additional water to it before it cooled might help - Music City Missy - 1:40am on 12/26/09
- Missy, I just added an 8 oz. bottle of purified water to the roasting pan as recipe directed so - FloriSandy - 1:46am on 12/26/09
- I should have added - then proceed like CathyZ recommended - Music City Missy - 3:30am on 12/26/09
- Oooh, this sounds promising Missy however, I done did it as [IMAGE] - FloriSandy - 3:40am on 12/26/09
- Then strained... [NT] [IMAGE] - FloriSandy - 3:55am on 12/26/09
- Then in fridge to coagulate. Darn, I can't seem to get the 3 photos all in one [IMAGE] - FloriSandy - 3:57am on 12/26/09
- Well excuse my AVATAR! I really am human, well, at least sometimes - LOL! [NT] - FloriSandy - 4:20am on 12/26/09
- ;0) [NT] - orchid - 12:55pm on 12/26/09
- Now that looks like a great idea Cathy, thanks very much! I'll report tomorrow night - FloriSandy - 1:42am on 12/26/09
- What????? I'm trying to catch my breath!!! You did what????...... [NT] - orchid - 4:12am on 12/26/09
- Oops, my retort to you is above orchid [NT] - FloriSandy - 4:21am on 12/26/09
- Lol - do your family members think (like mine do) that we are a little - DawnNYS - 7:11am on 12/26/09
- Well I finally put a notebook on the kitchen counter with threats if it gets moved - Music City Missy - 3:47pm on 12/26/09
- Next year's TDF kitchen gift! Kitchencam!! Gotta get one!! [NT] - PatBastrop - 7:57pm on 12/26/09
- shoulda been TDF Christmas gift! AARRGH the "happy holiday" crew has gotten to me! [NT] - PatBastrop - 7:58pm on 12/26/09
- Wouldn't that be a riot to watch one another cook and ham it up? Yes, please get one Pat! [NT] - FloriSandy - 8:11pm on 12/26/09
- I get a kick out of taking food photos. I'm surprised I haven't started a blog just to do so - lol [NT] - FloriSandy - 8:03pm on 12/26/09
- A camera impervious to "food hands" [NT] - Luisa_Calif - 9:29pm on 12/26/09