Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
|Michael in Phoenix||
Another factor to consider when deciding between frost-free and manual defrost is...
Joined: Dec 9, 2005
Posted to Thread #17308 at 4:37 pm on Dec 29, 2009
...how long you plan to keep food frozen.
If you tend to keep food for many months, you are better off with a manual defrost. It keeps a constant temperature, and if you keep the door seal intact and the door closed so humidity doesn't cause a bunch of ice to form, you may not have to defrost it more than once a year.
Frost-free freezers are designed to cycle on and off, allowing the frost to melt away on its own and drain out the bottom pan a little at a time. It doesn't wait until there's a big build-up of ice. It cycles hot/cold fairly often. This also reduces the shelf life of the food in the freezer (as opposed to a manual freezer with a constant freeze).
If you use your frozen foods on a regular basis and rotate your stock properly, a frost-free is a nice convenience. If you tend to let food sit in the freezer for months before being used, you might want to consider a manual.
Human liberty is about courage, dignity, eternal truths, and personal responsibility. Star Parker
Other messages in this thread:
- 17308. ISO: Calling all stand-alone freezer owners - RuthAB - 9:45pm on 12/28/09 (10)
- Nope Upright that defrosts itself.......why make extra work and who can get the frozen.... - joanietoo - 10:42pm on 12/28/09
- Ruth, I have an upright that is a manual defrost. - Dawn_MO - 11:41pm on 12/28/09
- Joanie, my seal was acting up too, and my appliance repair man told - Dawn_MO - 11:42pm on 12/28/09
- Mine is Upright, Frost-free... - Glennis_NoCA - 1:10am on 12/29/09
- You DON'T want manual defrosting. Really, Really. Really. [NT] - Steve2 in LA - 3:50am on 12/29/09
- Another factor to consider when deciding between frost-free and manual defrost is... - Michael in Phoenix - 4:37pm on 12/29/09
- A rave for my Sub Zero stand alone frost free freezer. Incredible machine. [NT] - CathyZ from Kauai - 6:06pm on 12/29/09
- Mine is an Upright Frost-free Frigidaire. I love it. [NT] - Cindy - 8:58pm on 12/29/09
- Upright, frost free Sub Zero -- love it! [NT] - PatBastrop - 10:31pm on 12/29/09
- Thank you all - this has been really helpful. You guys are the greatest! [NT] - RuthAB - 5:23pm on 12/30/09