Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
HUH??!! She is NOT a baker if she says you can use Hershey's - BIG, BIG difference.
Joined: Jul 17, 2006
Posted to Thread #18104 at 2:11 am on Apr 22, 2010
The dutch process cocoa powder is like 3 times more chocolaty, makes a darker chocolate product, and is less acidic (smoother tasting). Even Nestle's is better than Hersheys, and Ghiradelli leaps and bounds above that. Not to say that Hershey's doesn't have it's place, but when I want something chocolate, I want a deep, dark chocolate taste.
I hear Penzey's has had it, so I'll have to put it on my list.
Inside me lives a skinny woman crying to get out, but I can usually shut her up with cookies!
Other messages in this thread:
- 18104. HELP!! I can't believe I live in Southern Calif. and can't find dutch process cocoa powder!! - cheezz - 10:44pm on 04/21/10 (29)
- Hey cheezz - you should be able to find Droste at Whole Foods and possibly TJ's. [NT] - Meryl - 10:58pm on 04/21/10
- Droste is the one I bought at World Market - no more, though. Just go back from WF - zip. - cheezz - 2:09am on 04/22/10
- A recipe I made called for the Dutch Process Cocoa...I went looking for it at Raley's - KarenNoCA - 11:41pm on 04/21/10
- HUH??!! She is NOT a baker if she says you can use Hershey's - BIG, BIG difference. - cheezz - 2:11am on 04/22/10
- Although Hershey's Special Dark makes an amazing dark chocolate cake. [NT] - Amanda_Pennsylvania - 3:01am on 04/22/10
- That's their Dutch processed cocoa powder. [NT] - Meryl - 3:21am on 04/22/10
- I have to disagree -I prefer Hershey's over both Nestle and Ghirardelli for natural cocoa powder, - Meryl - 3:33am on 04/22/10
- I can't even find the Hershey's Dark... where do you buy El Rey?? [NT] - cheezz - 2:52am on 04/23/10
- oops... never mind - I see your 'El Rey' response below :) [NT] - cheezz - 2:53am on 04/23/10
- WHOA! Shipping rates will kill ya.... they say Sur La Table carries their products... - cheezz - 3:01am on 04/23/10
- The shipping rates are high, but the cocoa powder is unbelievably inexpensive! Also, if you order - Meryl - 3:38am on 04/23/10
- Hey, check Whole Foods for El Rey Cocoa powder - I just read on a blog that someone bought it there, - Meryl - 7:51am on 04/23/10
- I was just at Whole Foods yesterday and they didn't have it (at least not in the baking aisle) [NT] - cheezz - 6:04pm on 04/23/10
- I found some at Howe's market a while back. Don't know if you've got one near you though. - Steve2 in LA - 12:38am on 04/22/10
- Steve, I've never heard of Howe's! Haven't tried Surfas, but that's a good idea. Thanks! [NT] - cheezz - 2:12am on 04/22/10
- Pernigotti at Williams-Sonoma is dutched. - Sandi in Hawaii - 5:15am on 04/22/10
- Try El Rey and you'll never go back! Pernigotti pales compared to it! [NT] - Meryl - 7:30am on 04/22/10
- really? I love the Pernigotti but can't get it here--always a "souvenier" from Hawaii trips. - AngAk - 5:14pm on 04/22/10
- Ang, the only sources I've found for El Rey is their own site or at Chocosphere, which is where I - Meryl - 6:31pm on 04/22/10
- Grammar correction: "are" not "is!" [NT] - Meryl - 6:35pm on 04/22/10
- oh nuts. shipping to Alaska can mean a second mortgage. [NT] - AngAk - 5:08pm on 04/23/10
- I recently purchased some Cacao di Pernigotti and also some Scharffen Berger unsweetened cocoa - wigs - 3:54pm on 04/22/10
- also, the Wilbur Chocolate Co has dutched cocoa at a great price. [NT] - AngAk - 5:12pm on 04/22/10
- Hey wigs, I like Scharffen Berger for natural cocoa. For El Rey, the only sources I've found - Meryl - 6:33pm on 04/22/10
- HA! wigs, It makes you realize how much you *assume* because you're more experienced... - cheezz - 6:07pm on 04/23/10
- You got that right. Teaching a cooking class now & again makes me realize how fortunate - wigs - 8:41pm on 04/23/10
- HA! I could appreciate the grease/flour thing. After all, it does NOT say to dump out the excess *g* [NT] - cheezz - 10:15pm on 04/25/10
- Remidns me once of watching a cooking show with some young kids on. They were in the kitchen - cheezz - 10:18pm on 04/25/10