Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
La Vielle Maison Onion Soup via Ruth Reichl
Joined: Jan 11, 2007
Posted to Thread #18217 at 12:27 am on May 14, 2010
Trolling for recipes I came across this from Ruth Reichl's Comfort Me with Apples book. The beauty here is there's no need to caramelize the onions on the stovetop. All the work is done in the oven, baked.
La Veille Maison Soup
Comfort Me with Apples by Ruth Reichl
Robert Charles was very proud of this recipe. No wonder. Once you've tried his variation on the classic French onion soup, you'll never go back to the original.
1/2 stick (1/4 cup unsalted butter)
6 large onions, (about 3 1/2 pounds), chopped
4 large garlic cloves, chopped
salt and pepper
1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
2 cups dry white wine
4 cups chicken broth
1 teaspoon dried thyme, crumbled
4 large eggs
1/4 pound Gruyere cheese, grated
1/4 vup heavy cream
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F
Metl the butter over moderately high heat in a heavy, ovenproof 8-quart pot until the foam subsides. Cook the onion and garlic in the butter, adding aslt and pepper to taste and stirring, until onion is softened. Stir in the flour and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the wine, broth and thyme and cook the soup at a low boil, uncovered, stirring occasionally for 15 minutes. Cover the pot and bake in the middle of the oven for 2 hours.
Ladle the soup into 4 individual earthenware crocks or oven-proof bowls (about 1 1/2 cup capacity) and whisk an egg into each. Sprinkle the tops with cheese and bake in the middle of the oven until the cheese is melted, about 10 minutes. Remove the crocks from the oven and spoon 1 tablespoon cream over each serving.
You can't do anything about the length of your life, but you can do
something about its depth. - M
Other messages in this thread:
- 18217. La Vielle Maison Onion Soup via Ruth Reichl - Traca - 12:27am on 05/14/10 (6)
- Thanks, Traca. What an interesting variation. - KC_ - 12:33pm on 05/14/10
- I can't vouch for my typing...or my spelling. :) [NT] - Traca - 9:39pm on 05/14/10
- You beat me to it.... - SallyBR - 2:25am on 05/17/10
- guess what, Sara Moulton is in Anchorage for a book signing and cooking class Sat. - AngAk - 5:40pm on 05/14/10
- Whoo hoo! Can't wait to hear about it. [NT] - Traca - 9:36pm on 05/14/10
- OMG--this sounds fabulous. [NT] - Amanda_Pennsylvania - 8:01pm on 05/15/10