Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Chicken in Red Wine Vinegar posted by Charlie.... even picky DH loved it!
Joined: Jul 17, 2006
Posted to Thread #18250 at 3:50 am on May 23, 2010
Chicken in Red Wine Vinegar
Recipe By :Paula Wolfert [posted by Charlie]
Serving Size : 4
14 tablespoons red wine vinegar [use a good pinot noir vinegar]
1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
1 tablespoon honey [I added 2]
1 tablespoon tomato paste
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
8 large chicken thighs -- trimmed
Salt and freshly ground pepper
4 garlic cloves -- thinly sliced
3 large shallots -- thinly sliced
3/4 cup dry white wine
2 tablespoons crème fraîche *** [I added 3 Tbl. whipping cream]
3 tablespoons chopped tarragon
In a medium saucepan, bring the vinegar, broth, honey and tomato paste to a boil, stirring well. Simmer the vinegar sauce until reduced to 1/2 cup, about 8 minutes.
Heat the butter in a large, heavy skillet. Season the chicken thighs with salt and pepper and add half of them to the skillet, skin side down. Cook over moderate heat, turning once, until browned. Transfer to a plate. Repeat with the remaining thighs.
Add the garlic and shallots to the skillet and cook over low heat for 5 minutes. Add the wine; boil until reduced to 1/4 cup. Add the vinegar sauce and bring to a simmer.
Return the chicken to the skillet, skin side up. Cover and simmer over low heat until cooked through, about 20 minutes. Transfer the chicken to plates.
Add the crème fraîche to the skillet and boil for 3 minutes. Add the tarragon and season with salt and pepper. Pour the sauce over the chicken and serve.
*** make your own creme fraiche by mixing equal parts cream and sour cream, or by stirring a little buttermilk into the whipping cream (6 parts cream to 1 part buttermilk)
Inside me lives a skinny woman crying to get out, but I can usually shut her up with cookies!
Other messages in this thread:
- 18250. Question of the Day/Week: What recipe sounds absolutely horrid but when you tried it. . . - mistral - 8:07pm on 05/22/10 (15)
- Chicken Marbella from the Silver Palate Cookbook. - EvaN - 8:18pm on 05/22/10
- Bingo! [NT] - Traca - 2:19am on 05/23/10
- I tried this one and just didn't get it! I read so many good things about it... - Sandi in Hawaii - 2:24am on 05/23/10
- I agree Sandy. It was perfectly acceptable but that's all. [NT] - elaine - 3:35am on 05/23/10
- Same for me...when I walked into our neighbors home and that wonderful smell hit me in the face - KarenNoCA - 5:05pm on 05/23/10
- Oh thank God someone said it! I don't get the fascination w/ this recipe. [NT] - Traca - 7:55pm on 05/23/10
- The first time I made it, it was horrible! But since so many were oooh-ing and awww-ing over it, - EvaN - 9:43pm on 05/23/10
- Pineapple cheese casserole [LINK] - MariaDNoCA - 9:22pm on 05/22/10
- My aunt made one similar to this when I was a child. Her recipe used soft bread crumbs. [NT] - Curious1 - 12:51pm on 05/23/10
- This seems to be essentially a pineapple cheesecake that is served . . . - mistral - 4:34pm on 05/23/10
- Chicken in Red Wine Vinegar posted by Charlie.... even picky DH loved it! [LINK] - cheezz - 3:50am on 05/23/10
- I would not say horrid.... [LINK] - SallyBR - 12:24pm on 05/23/10
- You all are so brave. If it sounds horrid to me, I don't make it. I have so many that sound - Curious1 - 12:49pm on 05/23/10
- I would never make it without some kind of endorsement... - SallyBR - 2:12pm on 05/23/10
- Let us know when you make it. Btw, I'm looking forward to making your Hoisin-Explosion chicken. [NT] [LINK] - Curious1 - 3:41pm on 05/24/10