Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Sandi, mayonnaise won't emulsify if the eggs are cold, or if there is a thunderstorm. The French say
Joined: Dec 14, 2005
Posted to Thread #18259 at 2:47 pm on May 24, 2010
a failed mayonnaise could also mean that you're going to have a baby. Leave it to the French to come up with a pregnancy test that is also a sauce!
Julia gives a maximum of 1/2 cup oil per egg yolk. I think this recipe needs one more yolk. Also, I've never seen a recipe without Dijon mustard, which is also an emulsifier.
Julia's method for fixing a failed mayonnaise: Warm a bowl with hot water and dry. Put a spoonful of Dijon in the bowl. (room temp.) Stir up the mixture and whisk it into the bowl by dribbles. If you go slowly, this should work.
Other messages in this thread:
- 18259. Have you ever made homemade mayonnaise? What to do if it doesn't emulsify?? - Sandi in Hawaii - 4:44am on 05/24/10 (9)
- Sandi, Here is a wonderful tutorial by Julia Child with recipes....have made it and it is wonderful. [LINK] - GayR - 12:28pm on 05/24/10
- Thank you Gay - the link was extremely helpful! I'll definitely try it again! [NT] - Sandi in Hawaii - 8:33am on 05/25/10
- Sandi, mayonnaise won't emulsify if the eggs are cold, or if there is a thunderstorm. The French say - Joe - 2:47pm on 05/24/10
- So are we shopping for baby gifts, or what?! :) [NT] - cheezz - 9:32pm on 05/24/10
- I think so. Twice in a row sounds pretty certain. [NT] - Joe - 12:34am on 05/25/10
- Ha. Ha ha. Ha ha ha. Hahahahahahahaha!!!!!!! - Sandi in Hawaii - 8:31am on 05/25/10