Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
REC: Savannah Chocolate Chewies (from Sandi in Hawaii)
Joined: Jul 17, 2006
Posted to Thread #18282 at 3:27 am on May 29, 2010
Hubby has been buying these chocolate chewy cookies from Safeway. When he first bought them, he told me to try them. The cookie snob in me said "I don't eat store bought cookies!" But I looked at the ingredients, and it looked like real ingredients - egg whites, cocoa, pecans, etc.
I tried them, and although I hate to admit it, it was really good! They're like chewy brownies, and they're made with no butter!
This recipe is pretty close. The cookie is lighter in color, so I'll try dutch process instead of natural cocoa the next time. The parchment or silpat on the baking sheet is a must.
Savannah Chocolate Chewies
Yield: 2 dozen chews
From The All-American Cookie Book, by Nancy Baggett
2 cups (8 oz) chopped pecans
2 1/4 cups (8 oz) powdered sugar
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons (1 ¼ oz) unsweetened natural cocoa powder*
2 tablespoons (1/2 oz) all-purpose white flour
Generous pinch of salt
3 large egg whites
3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 ounce bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, grated (not unsweetened)
*Author calls for natural cocoa. I’m going to try dutch-process the next time I make this.
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
Spread the pecans in a medium baking pan and toast in the oven, stirring occasionally, for 7-9 minutes, or until fragrant. Immediately turn out into a medium bowl let cool.
Sift together the powdered sugar, cocoa powder, flour and salt into the bowl of an electric mixer.
Beat the egg whites one at a time into the powdered-sugar mixture with an electric mixer on low speed. Add the vanilla and beat for 1 1/2 minutes on high speed, scraping down the sides several times. Fold in the pecans and the chocolate until evenly incorporated. (The dough will be quite liquid, like a cake batter.)
Drop the dough onto the baking sheets by heaping tablespoons, spacing about 2 inches apart.
Bake the cookies, one sheet at a time, in the middle of the oven for 15 to 18 minutes, or until dry on the surface but soft in the centers when pressed. Reverse the sheet from front to back halfway through baking to ensure even browning. Slide the cookies, still attached to the parchment onto a wire rack.
Let cool completely, then carefully peel the cookies from the parchment.
The cookies can be stored in an airtight container up to three days or in the freezer for 1 month.
Inside me lives a skinny woman crying to get out, but I can usually shut her up with cookies!
Other messages in this thread:
- 18282. lizzy's post above reminds me.... can we start a thread on what do with with excess egg whites? [NT] - cheezz - 3:25am on 05/29/10 (42)
- 18282. REC: Paradise Macaroons (Michael in Phoenix) [LINK] - cheezz - 4:33am on 05/29/10 (11)
- REC: Savannah Chocolate Chewies (from Sandi in Hawaii) [LINK] - cheezz - 3:27am on 05/29/10
- I've made these - they are wonderful! [NT] - deb-in-MI - 12:03pm on 05/29/10
- 1 large egg white = 2 1/4 tablespoons. 7 large egg whites = 1 cup (thanks Sandi!) [NT] [LINK] - cheezz - 3:28am on 05/29/10
- Good reminder for me to use up those 5 whites languishing in the fridge. I made meringues with >>> - Luisa_Calif - 8:30pm on 06/02/10
- just saw a recipe in Tea Time that dips the finished meringues in melted butterscotch chips... - cheezz - 12:30am on 06/03/10
- REC: Cook's Illustrated Creamy Chocolate Frosting (Swiss meringue buttercream) [LINK] - cheezz - 3:31am on 05/29/10
- REC: French Macaroons (posted by rhoward2va) [LINK] - cheezz - 3:33am on 05/29/10
- REC: Devil's Food Cake with Fluffy White Frosting (Meryl) -- frosting uses 5 egg whites [LINK] [IMAGE] - cheezz - 3:36am on 05/29/10
- REC: Dorie Greenspan's Perfect Party Cake with Lemon Buttercream (Sandi in Hawaii) [LINK] - cheezz - 3:39am on 05/29/10
- REC: RLB's Mousseline Buttercream (MarilynFL) [LINK] - cheezz - 3:42am on 05/29/10
- REC: Sugared Cranberry Trail Mix (Sandi in Hawaii) [LINK] - cheezz - 3:43am on 05/29/10
- REC: Meringue Jelly Roll with Lemon Curd (fressca) [LINK] - cheezz - 3:44am on 05/29/10
- REC: Gingerbread: Elisenlebkuchen of Nürnberg (EvaN) [LINK] - cheezz - 3:47am on 05/29/10
- REC: Lemon Cheesecake, made with yogurt cheese (Kendall) [LINK] - cheezz - 3:50am on 05/29/10
- REC: Plum and Almond Cake (Sylvia) [LINK] - cheezz - 3:52am on 05/29/10
- REC: Nem Nuóng (Pork Meatballs Served in Salad Rolls) (FloriSandy) [LINK] [IMAGE] - cheezz - 3:55am on 05/29/10
- REC: CI's Crunchy Baked Pork Chops (Charlie) [LINK] - cheezz - 3:56am on 05/29/10
- REC: Sprinkles Vanilla-Peppermint Cupcakes (MariaDNoCA) [LINK] - cheezz - 3:59am on 05/29/10
- REC: REC: Sprinkles Strawberry Cupcakes w/Strawberry Frosting (MariaDNoCA) [LINK] - cheezz - 4:00am on 05/29/10
- Whole Sea Bass Baked in a Salt Crust, with aioli (Joe) [LINK] - cheezz - 4:02am on 05/29/10
- REC: Salmon Burgers (DawnNYS) [LINK] - cheezz - 4:04am on 05/29/10
- REC: Maple Pecan Chiffon Cake (wigs) [LINK] - cheezz - 4:06am on 05/29/10
- REC: Orange Chiffon Cake (wigs) [LINK] - cheezz - 4:10am on 05/29/10
- REC: Balsamic Vinegar Chicken with Almond Peppers (charlie) [LINK] - cheezz - 4:12am on 05/29/10
- REC: 7-Minute Frosting (Paula Deen) [LINK] - cheezz - 4:14am on 05/29/10
- REC: HobNob East Chocolate Mousse (wigs) [LINK] - cheezz - 4:15am on 05/29/10
- REC: Crusted Salmon with Grapefruit (lorijean) [LINK] - cheezz - 4:17am on 05/29/10
- REC: Orange Almond Madeleines (charlie) [LINK] - cheezz - 4:18am on 05/29/10
- REC: Chiles Rellenos Casserole (Pat-NoCal) [LINK] - cheezz - 4:20am on 05/29/10
- REC: Pistachio-Dusted Meringues with Ice Cream & Candied Orange Peel (Marsha tbay) [LINK] - cheezz - 4:23am on 05/29/10
- REC: Yugoslavian Christmas Cookies (charlie) [LINK] - cheezz - 4:25am on 05/29/10
- REC: Vanilla Mousse (rvb) [LINK] - cheezz - 4:26am on 05/29/10
- REC: Frozen Chocolate Pistachio Cream with Hot Chocolate Marsala Sauce (RuthAB) [LINK] - cheezz - 4:28am on 05/29/10
- REC: Zimtbäumchen (Austrian Cinnamon Christmas Tree Cookies) (Richard in Cincy) [LINK] [IMAGE] - cheezz - 4:30am on 05/29/10
- REC: Easy Meringue Buttercream (charlie) [LINK] - cheezz - 4:35am on 05/29/10
- REC Frozen Lemon Meringue Torte (hAndyman) - MariaDNoCA - 4:46am on 05/29/10
- REC: Mini Baked Alaska (Gale Gand) - MariaDNoCA - 4:53am on 05/29/10
- REC: Hot Chocolate Soufflé with Vanilla Velvet Sauce - MariaDNoCA - 5:01am on 05/29/10
- REC: Divinity Candy - MariaDNoCA - 5:02am on 05/29/10
- I freeze mine until I have 12 and then make angel food cake with - rhoward2va - 12:18pm on 05/29/10
- What a fabulous thread!!! - lizzy - 1:28pm on 05/29/10