Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
REC: Meringue Jelly Roll with Lemon Curd (fressca)
Joined: Jul 17, 2006
Posted to Thread #18282 at 3:44 am on May 29, 2010
No picture, but I had this at a dinner party last week - it was pretty to look at, and very yummy too.
MERINGUE JELLY ROLL WITH LEMON CURD
From Lucy Waverman at the Globe and Mail
This was a big hit at my last dinner party. The meringue rolls beautifully and you can fill it with anything you like. Baking at a high hear turns it a little spongy, making it easy to roll. You can make your own lemon curd or buy it in a jar. The jarred kind needs some extra lemon rind and juice to spark it up.
8 egg whites
2 cups granulated sugar
2 tablespoons white vinegar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/2 cup whipping cream
1-1/2 cups lemon curd
Preheat oven to 350 F. Line an 11-by-17-inch jelly roll pan with parchment paper.
Whisk egg whites until frothy and doubled in bulk. Slowly whisk in sugar 1 tablespoon at a time. Continue to whisk until the egg whites are thick, glossy and hold slightly drooping peaks. Beat in vinegar until egg whites form stiff peaks, then beat in cornstarch.
Spread meringue mixture into pan, levelling off the top. Bake for 20 minutes or until top is pale gold and feels firm to the touch.
Remove from oven and cool on parchment paper for 1 hour. Dust a large sheet of parchment paper with icing sugar and turn the meringue over on to the paper.
Whip cream until it hold stiff peaks. Fold whipped cream into lemon curd and spread lemon cream over roulade. Roll up roulade from the long end using the paper as a guide. Chill until needed and cut into slices to serve. Serves 6 with leftovers.
Inside me lives a skinny woman crying to get out, but I can usually shut her up with cookies!
Other messages in this thread:
- 18282. lizzy's post above reminds me.... can we start a thread on what do with with excess egg whites? [NT] - cheezz - 3:25am on 05/29/10 (42)
- 18282. REC: Paradise Macaroons (Michael in Phoenix) [LINK] - cheezz - 4:33am on 05/29/10 (11)
- REC: Savannah Chocolate Chewies (from Sandi in Hawaii) [LINK] - cheezz - 3:27am on 05/29/10
- I've made these - they are wonderful! [NT] - deb-in-MI - 12:03pm on 05/29/10
- 1 large egg white = 2 1/4 tablespoons. 7 large egg whites = 1 cup (thanks Sandi!) [NT] [LINK] - cheezz - 3:28am on 05/29/10
- Good reminder for me to use up those 5 whites languishing in the fridge. I made meringues with >>> - Luisa_Calif - 8:30pm on 06/02/10
- just saw a recipe in Tea Time that dips the finished meringues in melted butterscotch chips... - cheezz - 12:30am on 06/03/10
- REC: Cook's Illustrated Creamy Chocolate Frosting (Swiss meringue buttercream) [LINK] - cheezz - 3:31am on 05/29/10
- REC: French Macaroons (posted by rhoward2va) [LINK] - cheezz - 3:33am on 05/29/10
- REC: Devil's Food Cake with Fluffy White Frosting (Meryl) -- frosting uses 5 egg whites [LINK] [IMAGE] - cheezz - 3:36am on 05/29/10
- REC: Dorie Greenspan's Perfect Party Cake with Lemon Buttercream (Sandi in Hawaii) [LINK] - cheezz - 3:39am on 05/29/10
- REC: RLB's Mousseline Buttercream (MarilynFL) [LINK] - cheezz - 3:42am on 05/29/10
- REC: Sugared Cranberry Trail Mix (Sandi in Hawaii) [LINK] - cheezz - 3:43am on 05/29/10
- REC: Meringue Jelly Roll with Lemon Curd (fressca) [LINK] - cheezz - 3:44am on 05/29/10
- REC: Gingerbread: Elisenlebkuchen of Nürnberg (EvaN) [LINK] - cheezz - 3:47am on 05/29/10
- REC: Lemon Cheesecake, made with yogurt cheese (Kendall) [LINK] - cheezz - 3:50am on 05/29/10
- REC: Plum and Almond Cake (Sylvia) [LINK] - cheezz - 3:52am on 05/29/10
- REC: Nem Nuóng (Pork Meatballs Served in Salad Rolls) (FloriSandy) [LINK] [IMAGE] - cheezz - 3:55am on 05/29/10
- REC: CI's Crunchy Baked Pork Chops (Charlie) [LINK] - cheezz - 3:56am on 05/29/10
- REC: Sprinkles Vanilla-Peppermint Cupcakes (MariaDNoCA) [LINK] - cheezz - 3:59am on 05/29/10
- REC: REC: Sprinkles Strawberry Cupcakes w/Strawberry Frosting (MariaDNoCA) [LINK] - cheezz - 4:00am on 05/29/10
- Whole Sea Bass Baked in a Salt Crust, with aioli (Joe) [LINK] - cheezz - 4:02am on 05/29/10
- REC: Salmon Burgers (DawnNYS) [LINK] - cheezz - 4:04am on 05/29/10
- REC: Maple Pecan Chiffon Cake (wigs) [LINK] - cheezz - 4:06am on 05/29/10
- REC: Orange Chiffon Cake (wigs) [LINK] - cheezz - 4:10am on 05/29/10
- REC: Balsamic Vinegar Chicken with Almond Peppers (charlie) [LINK] - cheezz - 4:12am on 05/29/10
- REC: 7-Minute Frosting (Paula Deen) [LINK] - cheezz - 4:14am on 05/29/10
- REC: HobNob East Chocolate Mousse (wigs) [LINK] - cheezz - 4:15am on 05/29/10
- REC: Crusted Salmon with Grapefruit (lorijean) [LINK] - cheezz - 4:17am on 05/29/10
- REC: Orange Almond Madeleines (charlie) [LINK] - cheezz - 4:18am on 05/29/10
- REC: Chiles Rellenos Casserole (Pat-NoCal) [LINK] - cheezz - 4:20am on 05/29/10
- REC: Pistachio-Dusted Meringues with Ice Cream & Candied Orange Peel (Marsha tbay) [LINK] - cheezz - 4:23am on 05/29/10
- REC: Yugoslavian Christmas Cookies (charlie) [LINK] - cheezz - 4:25am on 05/29/10
- REC: Vanilla Mousse (rvb) [LINK] - cheezz - 4:26am on 05/29/10
- REC: Frozen Chocolate Pistachio Cream with Hot Chocolate Marsala Sauce (RuthAB) [LINK] - cheezz - 4:28am on 05/29/10
- REC: Zimtbäumchen (Austrian Cinnamon Christmas Tree Cookies) (Richard in Cincy) [LINK] [IMAGE] - cheezz - 4:30am on 05/29/10
- REC: Easy Meringue Buttercream (charlie) [LINK] - cheezz - 4:35am on 05/29/10
- REC Frozen Lemon Meringue Torte (hAndyman) - MariaDNoCA - 4:46am on 05/29/10
- REC: Mini Baked Alaska (Gale Gand) - MariaDNoCA - 4:53am on 05/29/10
- REC: Hot Chocolate Soufflé with Vanilla Velvet Sauce - MariaDNoCA - 5:01am on 05/29/10
- REC: Divinity Candy - MariaDNoCA - 5:02am on 05/29/10
- I freeze mine until I have 12 and then make angel food cake with - rhoward2va - 12:18pm on 05/29/10
- What a fabulous thread!!! - lizzy - 1:28pm on 05/29/10