Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
REC: Sprinkles Vanilla-Peppermint Cupcakes (MariaDNoCA)
Joined: Jul 17, 2006
Posted to Thread #18282 at 3:59 am on May 29, 2010
Recipe created by Candace Nelson, owner of Sprinkles Cupcakes
Ingredients:Makes 1 dozen cupcakes
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour , sifted
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. coarse salt
1/2 cup whole milk , room temperature
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1 tsp. peppermint extract
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter , room temperature
1 cup sugar
1 large egg , room temperature
2 large egg whites , room temperature
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter , firm but not cold
1/8 tsp. salt
3 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar , sifted
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. peppermint extract
1/2 tsp. milk
To make cupcakes: Preheat oven to 350°. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with cupcake liners; set aside.
In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt; set aside.
In a small bowl, mix together milk and extracts; set aside.
In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter on medium-high speed, until light and fluffy. Gradually add sugar and continue to beat until well combined and fluffy. Reduce the mixer speed to medium and slowly add egg and egg whites until just blended.
With the mixer on low, slowly add half the flour mixture; mix until just blended. Add the milk mixture; mix until just blended. Slowly add remaining flour mixture, scraping down sides of the bowl with a spatula, as necessary, until just blended.
Divide batter evenly among prepared muffin cups. Transfer muffin tin to oven and bake until tops are just dry to the touch, 22 to 25 minutes. Transfer muffin tin to a wire rack and let cupcakes cool completely in tin before icing.
To make frosting: In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the flat beater, beat the butter and salt on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
Reduce the speed to low, gradually add the confectioners' sugar and beat until incorporated. Add the extracts and milk and beat until smooth and creamy. Do not overmix or the frosting will incorporate too much air; it should be creamy and dense, like ice cream. Add additional milk, 1 teaspoon at a time, if frosting does not have a spreadable consistency.
To frost: Scoop a generous amount of frosting on top of a cooled cupcake. Hold the cupcake in one hand and with the other hand use a small offset spatula to smooth the frosting over the entire top of the cupcake. To achieve the Sprinkles look, use the length of the spatula to create large swirls around the circumference of the cupcake. Or for a more homespun and rustic quality, use the tip of the spatula to create small ridges and waves in the frosting.
Be careful to handle the cupcake with care and not grip it too tightly, which can crush the delicate cake. In general, the less the cupcake is handled, the better. An experienced Sprinkles froster can frost a cupcake with only a few turns of the spatula!
Top with crushed candy canes!
Inside me lives a skinny woman crying to get out, but I can usually shut her up with cookies!
Other messages in this thread:
- 18282. lizzy's post above reminds me.... can we start a thread on what do with with excess egg whites? [NT] - cheezz - 3:25am on 05/29/10 (42)
- 18282. REC: Paradise Macaroons (Michael in Phoenix) [LINK] - cheezz - 4:33am on 05/29/10 (11)
- REC: Savannah Chocolate Chewies (from Sandi in Hawaii) [LINK] - cheezz - 3:27am on 05/29/10
- I've made these - they are wonderful! [NT] - deb-in-MI - 12:03pm on 05/29/10
- 1 large egg white = 2 1/4 tablespoons. 7 large egg whites = 1 cup (thanks Sandi!) [NT] [LINK] - cheezz - 3:28am on 05/29/10
- Good reminder for me to use up those 5 whites languishing in the fridge. I made meringues with >>> - Luisa_Calif - 8:30pm on 06/02/10
- just saw a recipe in Tea Time that dips the finished meringues in melted butterscotch chips... - cheezz - 12:30am on 06/03/10
- REC: Cook's Illustrated Creamy Chocolate Frosting (Swiss meringue buttercream) [LINK] - cheezz - 3:31am on 05/29/10
- REC: French Macaroons (posted by rhoward2va) [LINK] - cheezz - 3:33am on 05/29/10
- REC: Devil's Food Cake with Fluffy White Frosting (Meryl) -- frosting uses 5 egg whites [LINK] [IMAGE] - cheezz - 3:36am on 05/29/10
- REC: Dorie Greenspan's Perfect Party Cake with Lemon Buttercream (Sandi in Hawaii) [LINK] - cheezz - 3:39am on 05/29/10
- REC: RLB's Mousseline Buttercream (MarilynFL) [LINK] - cheezz - 3:42am on 05/29/10
- REC: Sugared Cranberry Trail Mix (Sandi in Hawaii) [LINK] - cheezz - 3:43am on 05/29/10
- REC: Meringue Jelly Roll with Lemon Curd (fressca) [LINK] - cheezz - 3:44am on 05/29/10
- REC: Gingerbread: Elisenlebkuchen of N [LINK] - cheezz - 3:47am on 05/29/10
- REC: Lemon Cheesecake, made with yogurt cheese (Kendall) [LINK] - cheezz - 3:50am on 05/29/10
- REC: Plum and Almond Cake (Sylvia) [LINK] - cheezz - 3:52am on 05/29/10
- REC: Nem Nu [LINK] [IMAGE] - cheezz - 3:55am on 05/29/10
- REC: CI's Crunchy Baked Pork Chops (Charlie) [LINK] - cheezz - 3:56am on 05/29/10
- REC: Sprinkles Vanilla-Peppermint Cupcakes (MariaDNoCA) [LINK] - cheezz - 3:59am on 05/29/10
- REC: REC: Sprinkles Strawberry Cupcakes w/Strawberry Frosting (MariaDNoCA) [LINK] - cheezz - 4:00am on 05/29/10
- Whole Sea Bass Baked in a Salt Crust, with aioli (Joe) [LINK] - cheezz - 4:02am on 05/29/10
- REC: Salmon Burgers (DawnNYS) [LINK] - cheezz - 4:04am on 05/29/10
- REC: Maple Pecan Chiffon Cake (wigs) [LINK] - cheezz - 4:06am on 05/29/10
- REC: Orange Chiffon Cake (wigs) [LINK] - cheezz - 4:10am on 05/29/10
- REC: Balsamic Vinegar Chicken with Almond Peppers (charlie) [LINK] - cheezz - 4:12am on 05/29/10
- REC: 7-Minute Frosting (Paula Deen) [LINK] - cheezz - 4:14am on 05/29/10
- REC: HobNob East Chocolate Mousse (wigs) [LINK] - cheezz - 4:15am on 05/29/10
- REC: Crusted Salmon with Grapefruit (lorijean) [LINK] - cheezz - 4:17am on 05/29/10
- REC: Orange Almond Madeleines (charlie) [LINK] - cheezz - 4:18am on 05/29/10
- REC: Chiles Rellenos Casserole (Pat-NoCal) [LINK] - cheezz - 4:20am on 05/29/10
- REC: Pistachio-Dusted Meringues with Ice Cream & Candied Orange Peel (Marsha tbay) [LINK] - cheezz - 4:23am on 05/29/10
- REC: Yugoslavian Christmas Cookies (charlie) [LINK] - cheezz - 4:25am on 05/29/10
- REC: Vanilla Mousse (rvb) [LINK] - cheezz - 4:26am on 05/29/10
- REC: Frozen Chocolate Pistachio Cream with Hot Chocolate Marsala Sauce (RuthAB) [LINK] - cheezz - 4:28am on 05/29/10
- REC: Zimtb [LINK] [IMAGE] - cheezz - 4:30am on 05/29/10
- REC: Easy Meringue Buttercream (charlie) [LINK] - cheezz - 4:35am on 05/29/10
- REC Frozen Lemon Meringue Torte (hAndyman) - MariaDNoCA - 4:46am on 05/29/10
- REC: Mini Baked Alaska (Gale Gand) - MariaDNoCA - 4:53am on 05/29/10
- REC: Hot Chocolate Souffl - MariaDNoCA - 5:01am on 05/29/10
- REC: Divinity Candy - MariaDNoCA - 5:02am on 05/29/10
- I freeze mine until I have 12 and then make angel food cake with - rhoward2va - 12:18pm on 05/29/10
- What a fabulous thread!!! - lizzy - 1:28pm on 05/29/10