Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
REC: HobNob East Chocolate Mousse (wigs)
Joined: Jul 17, 2006
Posted to Thread #18282 at 4:15 am on May 29, 2010
A reader wrote requesting this recipe from a restaurant in Columbus, Indiana. A subsequent letter to the management of that establishment soon brought a friendly reply expressing pleasure in having a dedicated customer who wanted the recipe. Also given are tips for success by Warren Cole, restaurant owner, along with this amusing little note at the conclusion of his reply: "There are no surprises in this recipe, for all happy mousse are alike, but unhappy mousse are all unhappy in different ways."
HOBNOB EAST CHOCOLATE MOUSSE
2 ounces semisweet chocolate
3 Tablespoons heavy cream
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup Kahlua -OR- other coffee-based liqueur
2 egg whites, at room temperature
2 cups heavy cream
Notes from Hobnob East in Columbus, IN: "Work with well-chilled ingredients when beating and folding in heavy cream. Chill metal bowl and beaters before whipping cream. (Do NOT use a glass bowl to whip cream.) Use the heaviest cream available. Use the very best quality of chocolate possible.
In top of a double boiler, gently melt the chocolate. When fully melted, stir in the 3 Tablespoons of heavy cream and remove from heat. Separately dissolve sugar into Kahlua over low heat.* When fully dissolved, blend with chocolate. Chill this mixture well.
Whip egg whites and fold into chocolate mixture.
(*Note from Caryn--I dissolve 1/8 cup sugar in the liqueur and reserve the remaining 1/8 cup sugar to beat into my egg whites.)
Whip the remaining 2 cups heavy cream and fold into chocolate-egg white mixture.** Allow to set up well in refrigerator before serving.
To serve, spoon into glasses and garnish with slivers of dark chocolate and whipped cream. Yields about six 1-cup servings.
**At this point I portion the mousse into wine glasses and then chill it well before garnishing and serving. Caryn
Inside me lives a skinny woman crying to get out, but I can usually shut her up with cookies!
Other messages in this thread:
- 18282. lizzy's post above reminds me.... can we start a thread on what do with with excess egg whites? [NT] - cheezz - 3:25am on 05/29/10 (42)
- 18282. REC: Paradise Macaroons (Michael in Phoenix) [LINK] - cheezz - 4:33am on 05/29/10 (11)
- REC: Savannah Chocolate Chewies (from Sandi in Hawaii) [LINK] - cheezz - 3:27am on 05/29/10
- I've made these - they are wonderful! [NT] - deb-in-MI - 12:03pm on 05/29/10
- 1 large egg white = 2 1/4 tablespoons. 7 large egg whites = 1 cup (thanks Sandi!) [NT] [LINK] - cheezz - 3:28am on 05/29/10
- Good reminder for me to use up those 5 whites languishing in the fridge. I made meringues with >>> - Luisa_Calif - 8:30pm on 06/02/10
- just saw a recipe in Tea Time that dips the finished meringues in melted butterscotch chips... - cheezz - 12:30am on 06/03/10
- REC: Cook's Illustrated Creamy Chocolate Frosting (Swiss meringue buttercream) [LINK] - cheezz - 3:31am on 05/29/10
- REC: French Macaroons (posted by rhoward2va) [LINK] - cheezz - 3:33am on 05/29/10
- REC: Devil's Food Cake with Fluffy White Frosting (Meryl) -- frosting uses 5 egg whites [LINK] [IMAGE] - cheezz - 3:36am on 05/29/10
- REC: Dorie Greenspan's Perfect Party Cake with Lemon Buttercream (Sandi in Hawaii) [LINK] - cheezz - 3:39am on 05/29/10
- REC: RLB's Mousseline Buttercream (MarilynFL) [LINK] - cheezz - 3:42am on 05/29/10
- REC: Sugared Cranberry Trail Mix (Sandi in Hawaii) [LINK] - cheezz - 3:43am on 05/29/10
- REC: Meringue Jelly Roll with Lemon Curd (fressca) [LINK] - cheezz - 3:44am on 05/29/10
- REC: Gingerbread: Elisenlebkuchen of N [LINK] - cheezz - 3:47am on 05/29/10
- REC: Lemon Cheesecake, made with yogurt cheese (Kendall) [LINK] - cheezz - 3:50am on 05/29/10
- REC: Plum and Almond Cake (Sylvia) [LINK] - cheezz - 3:52am on 05/29/10
- REC: Nem Nu [LINK] [IMAGE] - cheezz - 3:55am on 05/29/10
- REC: CI's Crunchy Baked Pork Chops (Charlie) [LINK] - cheezz - 3:56am on 05/29/10
- REC: Sprinkles Vanilla-Peppermint Cupcakes (MariaDNoCA) [LINK] - cheezz - 3:59am on 05/29/10
- REC: REC: Sprinkles Strawberry Cupcakes w/Strawberry Frosting (MariaDNoCA) [LINK] - cheezz - 4:00am on 05/29/10
- Whole Sea Bass Baked in a Salt Crust, with aioli (Joe) [LINK] - cheezz - 4:02am on 05/29/10
- REC: Salmon Burgers (DawnNYS) [LINK] - cheezz - 4:04am on 05/29/10
- REC: Maple Pecan Chiffon Cake (wigs) [LINK] - cheezz - 4:06am on 05/29/10
- REC: Orange Chiffon Cake (wigs) [LINK] - cheezz - 4:10am on 05/29/10
- REC: Balsamic Vinegar Chicken with Almond Peppers (charlie) [LINK] - cheezz - 4:12am on 05/29/10
- REC: 7-Minute Frosting (Paula Deen) [LINK] - cheezz - 4:14am on 05/29/10
- REC: HobNob East Chocolate Mousse (wigs) [LINK] - cheezz - 4:15am on 05/29/10
- REC: Crusted Salmon with Grapefruit (lorijean) [LINK] - cheezz - 4:17am on 05/29/10
- REC: Orange Almond Madeleines (charlie) [LINK] - cheezz - 4:18am on 05/29/10
- REC: Chiles Rellenos Casserole (Pat-NoCal) [LINK] - cheezz - 4:20am on 05/29/10
- REC: Pistachio-Dusted Meringues with Ice Cream & Candied Orange Peel (Marsha tbay) [LINK] - cheezz - 4:23am on 05/29/10
- REC: Yugoslavian Christmas Cookies (charlie) [LINK] - cheezz - 4:25am on 05/29/10
- REC: Vanilla Mousse (rvb) [LINK] - cheezz - 4:26am on 05/29/10
- REC: Frozen Chocolate Pistachio Cream with Hot Chocolate Marsala Sauce (RuthAB) [LINK] - cheezz - 4:28am on 05/29/10
- REC: Zimtb [LINK] [IMAGE] - cheezz - 4:30am on 05/29/10
- REC: Easy Meringue Buttercream (charlie) [LINK] - cheezz - 4:35am on 05/29/10
- REC Frozen Lemon Meringue Torte (hAndyman) - MariaDNoCA - 4:46am on 05/29/10
- REC: Mini Baked Alaska (Gale Gand) - MariaDNoCA - 4:53am on 05/29/10
- REC: Hot Chocolate Souffl - MariaDNoCA - 5:01am on 05/29/10
- REC: Divinity Candy - MariaDNoCA - 5:02am on 05/29/10
- I freeze mine until I have 12 and then make angel food cake with - rhoward2va - 12:18pm on 05/29/10
- What a fabulous thread!!! - lizzy - 1:28pm on 05/29/10