Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
Chicken Enchiladas in red chili sauce
Joined: Feb 19, 2010
Posted to Thread #18501 at 10:47 pm on Jul 5, 2010
Chicken Enchiladas with Red Chili Sauce
1 1/2 Tbs. vegetable oil
1 medium onion, chopped fine
3 medium garlic cloves, minced or pressed through a garlic press
3 Tbs. chili powder
2 tsp. ground coriander
3 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. sugar
12 oz. chicken breast cut into strips (1/4" to 1/2"-inch thick)(I use a whole roasted chicken from cosco and skin and debone it.)
4 (8 oz.) cans tomato sauce (Goya with pep.and onion in it.)
3/4 C. water
1/2 C. coarsely chopped fresh cilantro leaves
1 (4oz.) can pickled jalapenos, drained and chopped (about 1/4 cup)
8 oz. Sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded (about 2 2/3 cups) (I used half cheddar and half monteray jack)
10 corn tortillas (6"-inch) (--recipe - Easy corn tortillas - recipe follows)
3 oz. shredded sharp cheddar & monteray cheese mix
3/4 C. sour cream
1 avacado diced medium
5 romaine lettuce leaves, washed, dried, and shredded
1. For the sauce and filling: Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat until hot and shimmering but not smoking. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened and beginning to brown, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, chili powder, coriander, cumin, salt, and sugar; cook stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the chicken and cook, stirring constantly, until coated with the spices, about 30 seconds. Add the tomato sauce and water; stir to seperate the chicken pieces. Bring to a simmer, then reduce the heat to medium-low; simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is cooked through and the flavors have melded, about 8 minutes. Pour the mixture through a medium-mesh strainer into a medium bowl, pressing on the chicken and onions to extract as much sauce as possible; set the sauce aside. Transfer the chicken mixture to a large plate; freeze for 10 minutes to cool, then combine with cilantro, jalapenos, and the 8 ounces shredded cheddar monteray mix in a medium bowl and set aside.
2. Adjust the oven racks to the racks to the upper- and lower-middle positions and heat the oven to 400 degrees F.
3. To assemble: Smear the entire bottom of a 9"x13"-inch baking dish with 3/4 cup of the chili sauce. Place the easy corn tortillas on work suface one at a time and spread 1/3 cup filling down the center of tortilla. Roll each tortilla thightly by hand and place seam side down, side by side on the sauce in the baking dish. Pour the remaining chili sauce over the top of the enchiladas. Use the back of a spoon to spread the sauce so it coats the top of each tortilla. Sprinkle the 3 ounces cheddar monteray cheese mix down the center to the enchiladas.
4. To bake: Cover the baking dish with foil. Bake the enchiladas on the lower-middle rack until they are heated through and the cheese is melted, 20 to 25 minutes. Uncover and serve immediately, passing the sour cream, avacado, lettuce, and lime wedges seperately.
Easy Corn Tortillas
1 C. flour
1 C. cornmeal (fine)
1 tsp. salt
2 1/2 C. milk
Mix dry ingredients together with a wire whisk, then add milk to desired thinness. (Like crepes.)
Pour a small amount into preheated, greased skillet. Spread thin by tilting pan. (A small pan works best.) Flip tortilla once when batter looses it glossy look and edges look a bit dry. Cook a few seconds longer and tip out of pan.
Yields about 14 tortillas.
Other messages in this thread:
- 18501. ISO: Please, Your Best Chicken Enchilada recipes? [NT] - Kendall - 10:41pm on 07/01/10 (12)
- Have you checked Tried and True? There are some excellent ones there. [NT] - KarenNoCA - 12:00am on 07/02/10
- Creamy Chicken Enchiladas- my favorite - CathyZ from Kauai - 12:12am on 07/02/10
- Thank y'all so much, Creamies look great, and I will go to T&T [NT] - Kendall - 1:57am on 07/02/10
- Is it too late? Chicken Enchiladas in Cream Sauce. Delicious! - orchid - 2:43am on 07/02/10
- Stacked Green Chile & Grilled Chicken Enchiladas. I've got so many, chose 1 a little different. - Curious1 - 3:08am on 07/02/10
- REC: Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas [IMAGE] - cheezz - 4:09am on 07/02/10
- Thank You All So Much!!!! [NT] - Kendall - 8:29pm on 07/02/10
- Chicken Enchiladas in red chili sauce - florapny - 10:47pm on 07/05/10
- Hey - florapny - WELCOME! Recipe looks delicious *g* [NT] - cheezz - 12:39am on 07/06/10
- The easy corn tortillas sound great. Thanks for the recipe. And welcome! [NT] - KC_ - 4:58pm on 07/06/10
- welcome, and thanks for the easy corn tortilla recipe. [NT] - AngAk - 6:32pm on 07/06/10
- This looks wonderful. My sister makes corn tortillas like this. Welcome! [NT] - Dawn_MO - 12:21pm on 07/07/10