Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
REC: Chile Rellenos Casserole. I can't wait for the occasion to make it again! Here's what I did:
Joined: Jul 17, 2006
Posted to Thread #18604 at 2:39 am on Jul 18, 2010
I made the 9x13, so will put the amounts I did in brackets - it certainly is a forgiving recipe! I cut it into 21 pieces as we also had muffins and breads. As the main breakfast dish, I would say it easily made 12 main-dish servings.
Chile Rellenos Casserole
Serving Size: 8 
2 lg. can Whole green chiles [3 cans]
1 Pound Cheddar Cheese,Shredded **
1/2 Pound Monterey Jack Cheese,Shredded **
** [2 lb bag shredded Mexican 4-cheese blend]
5 Eggs, beaten [8 eggs]
1 Tablespoon Flour,Heaping [1-1/2 Tbl. heaping]
1/2 Teaspoon Cumin [3/4 tsp. cumin seed, crushed]
1/2 Teaspoon Salt [3/4 tsp.]
1 lg. can Evaporated Milk,Whole [1 can + 2/3 cup]
Tomato Sauce [half an 8-oz. can]
Remove seeds from peppers and drain on paper towels.
Grease casserole dish and line with chiles. Spread cheeses on top.
(May be frozen at this point.)
Mix flour with a small amount of milk and add to
beaten eggs. Add remaining milk and salt.
Pour over top of cheese and chiles.
Bake at 375 F. for 30 minutes [45 min] or until set. [cover with foil for last 15 min. if browning too much]. Drizzle tomato sauce over top and return to oven for 5 additional minutes. Let stand 10 minutes
cheezz notes: I mixed up the egg/flour/milk/spices the night before, and cleaned the chiles. So it went together very fast the next morning.
Inside me lives a skinny woman crying to get out, but I can usually shut her up with cookies!
Other messages in this thread:
- 18604. orchid!!! You have a chiles rellenos casserole in tried and true.... question - [LINK] - cheezz - 5:11am on 07/13/10 (8)
- oh wait! I see it serves 8... how big a serving would that be? - cheezz - 5:48am on 07/13/10
- You're right cheezz, no dish size. This recipe was given to me in my - orchid - 2:47pm on 07/13/10
- Thanks! I'm making it for a breakfast this Saturday so will let you know how it went [NT] - cheezz - 7:52pm on 07/13/10
- Oh good, I'm sure it will be great. Please let me know. [NT] - orchid - 8:20pm on 07/13/10
- FABULOUS! I should have taken a picture of the empty pan :) I hope this gets in T&T... - cheezz - 6:56pm on 07/17/10
- Awww, perfect cheezz. It's so good isn't it? And always a huge hit. Thanks - orchid - 8:55pm on 07/17/10