Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
I bought a 3 pound package of Wright's Bacon Pieces and Ends a couple
Joined: Dec 9, 2005
Posted to Thread #18710 at 12:59 pm on Aug 1, 2010
days ago, on the recommendation of a woman at the grocery store. I needed to buy some and looked at the big bacon package and was afraid to buy it because it would be gross. I am glad I listened to that woman because I am very happy with this purchase.
When I opened it, I was a bit overwhelmed with that much raw bacon fat. I am glad I did this while everyone was asleep because it wasn't the most appetizing job. I divided it into three categories; fat, meat slabs and frying bacon. After frying up some bacon for breakfast, I was left with 9 oz fat, 8 oz meat slabs and 17 oz of frying bacon. The fat has some meat with it, the meat slabs are almost like ham pieces and will be great for seasoning soups and such. A 3 lb. package of bacon for $4.58, quite a bargain. I will definitely be buying end pieces from now on, especially from some of the butchers around here. I knew when that woman became animated telling me about how she makes green beans with it, that she knew what she was talking about. Green beans seasoned with some sort of pork fat is a big deal around this part of the country.
Sometimes you just need to look reality in the eye, and deny it. �Garrison Keillor
Other messages in this thread:
- 18710. I bought a 3 pound package of Wright's Bacon Pieces and Ends a couple - Dawn_MO - 12:59pm on 08/01/10 (7)
- Do you think you could make Bacon Jam w/ it? I have been trying to find a crockpot recipe. - barb_b - 2:26pm on 08/01/10
- A couple of tablespoons of the rendered fat or a small handful of the bacon - Melissa Dallas - 8:00pm on 08/01/10
- MMM, collards with bacon. . . - mistral - 1:38am on 08/02/10
- That was our dinner last night, fried rice and fresh corn on the cob. - Dawn_MO - 4:52pm on 08/02/10
- Fried rice with egg was my "go to" broke college student meal [NT] - Melissa Dallas - 5:25pm on 08/02/10
- fried rice with bacon sounds delightful! I have 2 cobs of corn to make too. yummy dinner! [NT] - AngAk - 6:01pm on 08/02/10
- If you have a camp stove. . . Try this: - mistral - 8:40pm on 08/02/10