Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
If you have a camp stove. . . Try this:
Joined: Dec 31, 2005
Posted to Thread #18710 at 8:40 pm on Aug 2, 2010
If you have a white gas camping stove, converted to propane, try cooking your fried rice on that, using a big, cast-iron frying pan. Heat it till smoking hot, have your rice ingredients ready, put your bacon fat in the heated pan, let melt, add your rice and continue on. This, for me, had made the most delicious, toasty-flavored rice; it has that certain "something" that I had been getting in good chinese/oriental restaurants, but had been unable to achieve at home. Wonderful--the super high heat does it!
During the summer we keep a propane-fueled camp stove on our patio to avoid heating up the house. I guess you would have to call this set-up our summer kitchen.
A Proud "Master Food Preserver San Bernardino County" since 1996!
Other messages in this thread:
- 18710. I bought a 3 pound package of Wright's Bacon Pieces and Ends a couple - Dawn_MO - 12:59pm on 08/01/10 (7)
- Do you think you could make Bacon Jam w/ it? I have been trying to find a crockpot recipe. - barb_b - 2:26pm on 08/01/10
- A couple of tablespoons of the rendered fat or a small handful of the bacon - Melissa Dallas - 8:00pm on 08/01/10
- MMM, collards with bacon. . . - mistral - 1:38am on 08/02/10
- That was our dinner last night, fried rice and fresh corn on the cob. - Dawn_MO - 4:52pm on 08/02/10
- Fried rice with egg was my "go to" broke college student meal [NT] - Melissa Dallas - 5:25pm on 08/02/10
- fried rice with bacon sounds delightful! I have 2 cobs of corn to make too. yummy dinner! [NT] - AngAk - 6:01pm on 08/02/10
- If you have a camp stove. . . Try this: - mistral - 8:40pm on 08/02/10