Some cosmetic changes in preparation for larger site changes in the works.
|Richard in Cincy||
Just finished this dinner---*******WOW**********
Joined: Dec 12, 2005
Posted to Thread #18721 at 8:02 pm on Aug 3, 2010
The Chicken in Coconut Curry was about the best thing I've ever made in my kitchen.
It is now a house favorite and we're already planning a dinner party around this fabulous menu.
Only thing I would do is add a salad and/or raita as a foil to the richness of eating the chicken curry and parathas.
The Dal Soup is sublime.
I also made the chickpea, pistachio, and coriander fudge dessert that went with this but see I didn't post it. You can get it at the cooking channel tv web site.
I made that first and was thinking it was very yummy when I took a taste out of the pot before putting it in the sink. But after eating this fireworks explosion (it's spicy with moderate heat, but I didn't find it too hot at all) of a dinner, what was originally a very tasty sweet suddenly didn't have much taste. Will have to try it on its own tomorrow to reevaluate.
I did add frozen peas to the chicken. When I was watching her show I thought, she needs some veggies in there, then when I finished it, it was just begging for green peas, especially since there really isn't much in the way of vegetables otherwise. I added quite a bit, there's more than enough of the sauce to support them, and thought they were an inspired addition, really kicking up the visual interest and the flavor, texture, and contrast of this amazing dish.
Also, I used fresh curry leaves instead of dried, that probably boosted the flavor a bit as well. And Curry leave are so unbelievably tasty.
I heartily recommend all of these recipes.
They are quite exceptional.
Other messages in this thread:
- 18721. Spice Goddess on the new Cooking Channel - Richard in Cincy - 10:14am on 08/03/10 (28)
- REC: Potato Parathas from the Spice Goddess - Richard in Cincy - 10:23am on 08/03/10
- REC: Southern Indian Coconut Curry Chicken - Richard in Cincy - 10:29am on 08/03/10
- that 'asafoetida' sounded interesting, so had to look it up (never heard of it!) >> [NT] [LINK] - cheezz - 11:25pm on 08/03/10
- the sambar sounded interesting too... here's a recipe to make your own - cheezz - 11:29pm on 08/03/10
- the asafoetida is rather stinky - Richard in Cincy - 10:30am on 08/04/10
- Ah, but did you USE it after finding it to be stinky? - CathyZ from Kauai - 5:05pm on 08/04/10
- ooh, Cathy, could you post your naan recipe?! [NT] - cheezz - 5:11pm on 08/04/10
- REC: Spicy Dal Soup - Richard in Cincy - 10:29am on 08/03/10
- Off to the Indian Grocery for spice shopping. [NT] - Richard in Cincy - 10:30am on 08/03/10
- It is a good show, I like it too. I wish I had "customers" for Indian cuisine. :( [NT] - MoNJ - 12:36pm on 08/03/10
- Have you tried it on them? Who can resist a beautiful samosa or pakora?! [NT] - cheezz - 12:48pm on 08/03/10
- DH is pretty stubborn!! And he hates spicy, hot, cumin, cliantro..... sigh - MoNJ - 3:59pm on 08/03/10
- "too fancy"... I've got some of those - just don't cook for 'em *g* Pakoras can be pretty safe. - cheezz - 4:06pm on 08/03/10
- Just finished this dinner---*******WOW********** - Richard in Cincy - 8:02pm on 08/03/10
- I can hardly wait to try them. [NT] - Melissa Dallas - 9:06pm on 08/03/10
- So good to hear you liked your dinner Richard. Curry leaves are hard to find and very delicious. I - FloriSandy - 1:53am on 08/04/10
- Thanks for the info... - Richard in Cincy - 10:13am on 08/04/10
- Richard, I wonder if a curry plant would thrive in your garden?? [NT] - AngAk - 12:45pm on 08/04/10
- Ang, I've been looking for one. I bring my tropicals - Richard in Cincy - 1:37pm on 08/04/10
- Richard, your menu sounds wonderful! You should put it in the menu section. You post wonderful rec's - barb_b - 11:57am on 08/04/10
- You should have seen the kitchen after I was finished! LOL Thanks Barb. [NT] - Richard in Cincy - 1:37pm on 08/04/10
- too funny, when I open up this post, I have the fat belly lady ad winking at me [NT] - AngAk - 12:40pm on 08/04/10
- Hooo Booooy...sounds divine. I love coconut milk in curries although not - joanietoo - 2:39pm on 08/04/10
- Coriander Chutney and Green Marsala - joanietoo - 2:40pm on 08/04/10
- Joanie I love Coriander Chutney - Richard in Cincy - 10:38am on 08/05/10
- Nice side south indian side dish -- Semiya Upma - Judy-TX - 1:44pm on 08/16/10
- Jumbo Shrimp in coconut curry sauce - Judy-TX - 2:19pm on 08/16/10
- Kosu Kootu -- a comforting homey dish - Judy-TX - 2:40pm on 08/16/10